The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

AI Taking Over The World

Courtesy of Bing Image Creator

AI has slowly started to spread debate and concern all around the world, taking the place of humans in all fields of careers. AI has taken the jobs of people from healthcare, transportation, and entertainment. From this point on, individuals continuously ask if their privacy and employment are still intact.

AI being used for media has startled some users due to the worry of privacy and authenticity when it comes to social media. AI generative tools on photoshop have raised in popularity for generating random objects and/or changing people to look like others. Not only Photoshop, but AI has started to sound like the voices of celebrities, streamers, and more, which is extremely misleading with the wrong usage.

Courtesy of Getty Images

Jobs being taken up from AI is another major concern for those who are employed. They’re worried about the displacement of their employment,which would lead to unemployment and no source of income from then on. This would cause a disruption in the economy in some cases. 

Nicholi Estala, junior, says, “AI has definitely become a big topic, with the use of it being used everywhere, media especially, and a lot of people are resorting to using AI to be creative which personally, is scary due to how lazy it can make people, eventually people might even rely on AI for every part of their daily lives. It’s a scary thought to think that if people use that to become our future doctors and health practitioners, if AI can easily get us through it might as well have robots doing everything for us!” 

Malicious attacks are very common especially in the cyber world. The use of AI in cybersecurity is vulnerable in cases of exploitation and mass cyber attacks. 

Courtesy of NTT DATA Australia

On the other hand, AI could be helpful in surveillance by detecting threats for security measures.

Not only that, but it also helps individuals have access to information that they never knew before, or had trouble in understanding. AI puts together data and information quickly and almost accurately, as AI is still in the works.

“It’s taking over the world because a lot of people are lazy with homework and they know AI is smart and will know all the answers and so they will use AI for homework even my own teacher is using AI to help her teach our classroom cause she doesn’t know what to do,” Cecilia Betancourt, junior, says.

Well it is taking over the world due to the complex coding in the programming and people rely on AI a LOT. Plus some AI has been made to develop and adapt to their surroundings so lets say you do something that it doesn’t like it can easily connect to the internet and find out ways to murder you.

— Eleen Norman