Heart of Education Award Finalists

Photo+from+the+2022+award+ceremony+

Photo from the 2022 award ceremony

Karissa Murdoch, Journalist

So many amazing teachers and staff call Shadow Ridge High School home. Three of these wonderful Mustangs got nominated to win the Heart of Education Award. Counselor, Lisa Hebb, PE Coach Kalah Williams, and Band Director Zacharey Hartley were all selected as finalists for this award. After being nominated, staff members who would like to enter to be chosen have to fill out an application consisting of an essay 500 words or less describing how they have done the most for their students. The Smith Center will be hosting an award show for all of the chosen applicants on April 21, 2023. All finalists will be given a goody bag as well as a certificate but 20 winners will be chosen to win a custom medal as well as $5,000 cash for the teacher and $1,000 for the school to give to a program of the teachers choice. 

PE Coach Kalah Williams

Needless to say, of the many teachers in the district being chosen as a finalist is no small feat.

I am grateful to be recognized with the other finalists. There are over 32,000 teachers in CCSD and to be in the same category as some of the elite educators is a privilege,” says Coach Williams. 

Band Director Mr. Zacharey Hartley

For Mr. Hartley, it is a chance to be recognized for his endless support towards his band students over his career.

“It’s been a humbling experience that has validated how I feel and how I approach teaching. I have always treated our band students as my own which has helped to create a very positive community and family for them while we are working together,” says Mr. Hartley.

Not only are great teachers up in the running, but so is Shadow Ridge Counselor, Mrs. Hebb. 

Counselor Mrs. Lisa Hebb

Hebb says, “I am beyond grateful to be nominated for the Heart of Education Award.  When I received a notification that I was nominated, it was awesome to see that someone took the time to acknowledge the positive role that I have had for students at Shadow Ridge.  As a counselor, it can be hard to notice the impact I have on a student since I don’t see students as often as teachers do. It is always my goal to make sure a student knows that I am someone they can lean on when they need help.    Beyond the nomination, it’s great to know that I was selected as a finalist and I have been invited to attend an event at the Smith Center.  I look forward to taking a night off from taking my kids to hockey practice and spending an evening out!”

Congratulations to these three wonderful members of staff on their nomination and recognition for their hard work and dedication here at Shadow. 

I truly feel honored that a student thought enough of me to take the time and submit a very heartfelt nomination.

— Mr. Hartley