The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Dueling Restaurants Subway vs. Port of Subs

Today we put to the test the tried and true classic cuisine, the sandwich. I tried both Subway, and Port of Subs and will be determining which of the two truly is the better sandwich. 

Subway first originated in Bridgeport, Connecticut in 1965 when a college student named Fred DeLuca was looking for a way to pay for his college tuition. Dr. Peter Buck, professor, helped DeLuca and financed his sub store. That Subway blossomed into the Subway that we know today with around 37,000 locations across 100 countries. 

My Subway sandwich

Port of Subs began in Reno, Nevada in 1972 when two brothers from New Jersey opened a sub shop in Nevada. Port of Subs now has about 145 locations across Arizona, California, Nevada, Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. 

I went to Subway and ordered a 12 inch #17 sub which is their garlic roast beef sandwich. I got this on white bread and inside it contained, mayo, garlic aioli, lettuce, onion, provolone cheese, and of course roast beef. I purchased this without chips and a drink and it wound up costing me $15.19. 

When I went to Port of Subs, I ordered their 12 inch classic sub #18 which is their turkey and roast beef. I got this on white bread and inside it contained mayo, honey mustard, provolone cheese, onion, lettuce, turkey, and of course roast beef as well. This cost me $16.32 including the chips and drink I bought. 

Right off the bat, Port of Subs was cheaper and had more options for their classic subs, however both places have a ‘build your own’  available. Both places had fairly ok service, the people weren’t very friendly, but still were nice and got their job done. 

Upon first bite into my Subway sub, I was not entirely impressed, the bread was too toasted making it kind of hard and the lettuce was soggy. Other than that the sandwich had good flavor and was plenty filling.

When I bit into my Port of Subs sandwich I immediately was met with a soft bread and fresher tasting vegetables. While the bread was better tasting, it was pressed almost like a panini making it more thin and less like the classic sub roll that would be expected.

My Port of Subs sandwich (Karissa Murdoch )

From outside in, starting with bread, I did prefer the flavor of the Port of Subs bread as well as how soft it was. Subway was hard, less flavorful but had better shape. Therefore I would give Subway a 4/10 for bread and a 4.5/10 to Port of Subs. 

Moving to the veggies, Subway had plenty of options and so did Port of Subs, apart from the lettuce, both had very good veggies and tasted fresh. Just because the lettuce was soggy and slightly less fresh, I would give Subway 6/10 and Port of Subs a 7/10 on the veggie front. 

Now to the most important part of the sandwich, the meat. The meat was practically the same, Port of Subs freshly cut the meat for every sandwich, but they both tasted very similar. Therefore I will tie them at 8/10. 

While both sandwiches performed nearly neck and neck,  I would say Port of Subs takes the edge is in their pricing. For cheaper, more meat is offered as well as chips and a drink. 

All in all, both sandwiches are good and neither can be a wrong option. Port of Subs proves itself as the better sub. 

I would give Subway an overall score of 7/10 subs, and Port of Subs an 8/10 subs on the subscale.

Which sandwich do you think is the better one?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.