Sing it Loud and Proud

Save the date! Auditions on April 29th, 2024 (Courtesy of Shadow Ridge Choirs Instagram)

Music is special. It’s been used since the beginning of time in one way or another. But when a choir sings, there is a harmony that can’t be denied. 

On April 29, 2024, the auditions for both the Chamber and Concert Choir of the 2024-2025 school year will be held sometime after school in room 407. If interested, sign-up posters are located around the school with the necessary repertoire as well. 

However, the Concert and Chamber Choirs are different from the others. 

“Concert Choir and Chamber Singers sing advanced to professional choral literature that challenges the singer and the ensemble. The music can be tough but the rewards for the singers and the audience are immeasurable,” stated James Halvorson, the choral director. “We sing high-quality music in all of our ensembles, but with the size and work ethic of these ensembles we can accomplish the literature designed for more developed voices.”

With that being said, while Concert and Chamber Choir are fairly similar in a way, they are also very different from one another. 

“Concert Choir will feature pieces that work well with a larger ensemble. We also can sing literature with instrumentation which expands our song possibilities,” stated Mr. Halvorson. “Chamber Singers is an exclusively a cappella ensemble so all of our literature is picked to feature the abilities of the human voice. Our pieces tend to fit a slightly smaller ensemble but are certainly challenging and rewarding for the singers.”

The Shadow Ridge 2023-2024 Concert/Advanced ensemble at LVA for Festival. (Shadow Ridge Choirs Instagram)

Halvorson has high hopes for his ensembles and pushes his singers to succeed in the best way possible.

“I don’t think any student would question my passion for choir music and singing. I truly believe music makes everyone better people, so I start every year with that belief. I have high standards and I hold students accountable, but I try to also lead with a sense of encouragement and empowerment,” Mr. Halvorson said. “If I can get you to see, feel, and hear what choir music can give to you as a performer, then I believe you will empower yourself to serve for the knowledge to find the best of yourself in my classroom. The best part is that when students truly find that success in my room, it often leads to success in other classes. The level of self-discipline, work ethic, and passion for learning needed in choir directly relates to all academics, sports, activities, and life.” 

Don’t be afraid to fail.

— James Halvorson

“Most of our singers have developed from various levels of skills and worked their way up in our ensembles. Each year we have students who have spent their whole high school career in our various ensembles, honing their craft, and gaining opportunities as they improve. If you can talk, you can sing! The only thing getting in your way is your desire to improve,” Mr. Halvorson said. “The choir program is an inclusive, encouraging, and supportive environment where anyone at any skill level can find an ensemble that fits their skill level,” Halvorson continued. “As I tell all my current students, I make about 70-80% of my assessments on character, work ethic, and your willingness to work on your own and with others. That is truly the secret to our success as a program. I admit I don’t have the most talented singers, but I have the most committed musicians who wish to give to each other as much as they expect from the ensemble, and that’s what makes us great. Singing is easy, it just takes effort.”

2022-2023 Spring Concert Memories (Camryn Lumada-Williams)

Crystle Burns has been singing in choir since a very young age. When she came to high school, it was filled with new experiences that she began to love and adore. 

“I would tell others to join the chamber choir because we are so laid back but can maintain such a determined attitude. We support each other and we earn our success through our work. And finally, that feeling once you’ve hit the top, sung the note, and finished the concert, the adrenaline is so exhilarating and the best part is you’re not alone. In no time would you find your people through choir,” Burns stated. 

The choir allows its members to make long-lasting friendships and memories. 

“My favorite part of the chamber experience is our strength and togetherness. I love that we can continue our music even without a conductor,” Burns said. “We can make good with the bad in our lives, and we make long-lasting memories through it all. Memories of singing in the car, dancing on stage, laughing in class. It all greatly changed my life.”

Being in something like this can ultimately teach more than just how to hit a high note.

“Chamber choir has taught me many virtues such a patience, vulnerability, honesty, and appreciation for all things around me. It helped me enjoy the little things and understand how to evaluate whether or not I’m where I want to be in my life,” Burns stated.

Sometimes being scared is part of the process, but Mr. Halvorson believes failure is going to happen, and that’s also part of the process. Especially as a larger ensemble, where not all minds think alike 24/7. But at the end of the day, the kids in band, choir, orchestra, etc, all come together to create something beautiful. They become one for a song that may only last three minutes, but it always transports the audience to another world.