The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Leiva’s Acceptance

Jacob+Leiva+
Courtesy of Jacob Leiva
Jacob Leiva

Recently, Senior Jacob Leiva got accepted into the U.S. Air Force Academy. To get accepted, applicants must go through a series of tests and hard work. For cadets, the academy itself is free. These special individuals then move on to the “Air Force or Space Force.” Those who are in this academy play a major role in helping the country no matter which pathway they take. 

Leiva explains, “The process was pretty difficult, there was a long application process, 2 military interviews, and then 3 congressional nomination interviews,” he continues, “I took a lot of time to practice communication and speeches, as well as all the work in school to build up a good resume.”

As for college, he will be surrounded by people who have similar goals and desires as him, giving him support on his career journey. They must show their leadership skills and commitment to their goals in order to graduate and move into their desired force. 

“The Space Force was created to keep our satellites safe and operational and develop technology to protect our interests both in space and on Earth.”- The U.S. Air Force Website (Courtesy of The U.S. Air Force Website)

The U.S. Air Force Academy explains, “The Space Force was created to keep our satellites safe and operational and develop technology to protect our interests both in space and on Earth.”

Both the space and air force are constantly changing and advancing in science, air, and many more careers. With acceptance, the opportunities are unlimited. 

Leiva says, “I plan to go to the academy, serve in the Air Force, become a test pilot, and eventually [become] an astronaut. I’m beginning pilot aptitude training and tests.”

Members in this academy must be both physically and mentally strong. The standards at the academy are high, and they only accept those who meet all of the requirements. They look at basic traits, but also who the individual is as a person. The U.S. Air Force has a lot of physical standards to meet including basic combat training. BCT consists of competition, weapon knowledge, a camp site they are forced to live in, and a lot of teamwork to get past obstacles. 

He continues, “Basic Combat Training (BCT) is going to be one of the most physically enduring times in my life, 3 weeks of military training in the woods as well as pilot training in the G force simulator.”

No matter the path, the benefits that the academy brings last a lifetime. With no debt, Leiva can start his career free of some financial stress. As he goes through training for becoming a pilot now while still in high school, he is trying to pave his path towards success.