Bring On the Black Widow Movie

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

The Black Widow movie will finally be released on July 9th after being postponed so many times.

Abigail Davis, Campus Life Editor

Long before her debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) in Iron Man 2, Black Widow has been a beloved superhero for Marvel comic book fans and now Marvel movie fans. Fans have been wondering about her mysterious past and background since then, with only a vague story told about it in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Fans who have been anxiously waiting and hoping for her own stand-alone movie won’t have to wait much longer. Finally after being continuously pushed back due to COVID-19 concerns, Black Widow will premiere on July 9, 2021 both in theaters and on Disney Plus (for an additional fee). 

Scarlett Johansson will be reprising her role as Black Widow after appearing as Black Widow in all four Avengers movies, Iron Man 2, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and Captain America: Civil War. Acting alongside Johansson will be Florence Pugh as super-spy Yelena Bolova, Stranger Things actor David Harbour as Alexei Shostakov, aka the Red Guardian, and Rachel Weisz as Melina Vostokoff, aka the Iron Maiden. Black Widow will be the first movie in the MCU that Australian director, Cate Shortland will direct.

Lizzie Gubler, sophomore, says, “I was always confused about her origin story when I first saw her in Iron Man 2, but I loved her relationship with Clint [Hawkeye] and knew I wanted to see more of her.”

Information concerning the plot of Black Widow has been kept very hidden from the public besides a few trailers. The first trailer was released on December 3, 2019 and it offered a first look at one of the villains, the Taskmaster. It opens with a montage of Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) looking into a mirror and scenes from previous MCU movies. In a voiceover she says, “I used to have nothing. But then I got this job. This family. But nothing lasts forever.”

A Black Widow ‘Special Look’ trailer adds a little more information while building off of the original trailer. Black Widow will be about Romanoff facing her past and preventing a whole new breed of assassins, referred to as a “new world of Widows,” from being released into the world. With her background in the “Red Room,” Romanoff understands how these spys think and act. A television advertisement promoting the Black Widow movie was released during the 2020 Super Bowl as well.

To hammer up excitement again for this movie, another trailer was released. Excitement hasn’t seemed to die down much though because within the first 24 hours of the trailer’s release, it had reached 70 million views. This is more views than its previous trailer and other Marvel movies’ trailers such as Black Panther and Ant-Man and the Wasp. This new trailer shows flashbacks of Natasha’s childhood and gives viewers the best look so far of the main villain.

Gubler expresses, “I’m so excited for the movie to come out! I cried so much after what happened to her in Endgame.”

Black Widow will take place after Captain America: Civil War and before Avengers: Infinity War. Black Widow is the first movie in phase 4 of the MCU and marks the start of new Marvel movies to come. It’s even rumored that Robert Downey Jr. will reprise his role as Tony Stark for a final and short time in Black Widow. Fans should be prepared to watch Black Widow this July and maybe it will be finally revealed what happened in Budapest.