The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

The Military Life

The+fabulous+Dr.+Padgett+
Camryn Lumada-Williams
The fabulous Dr. Padgett

Ervin Padgett is a beloved math teacher at Shadow Ridge High School. The students admire his work and what he has accomplished. He has a great relationship with his wife, Suzanne Padgett, who also teaches at Shadow. However, before he was a teacher, he served many years in the military. 

When Padgett enlisted, he already knew what to expect since he grew up on Navy bases throughout his life. He remembered that day as if it was yesterday. A day that would change his life forever. 

“On July 28, 1986, I checked into the Officer Training School (OTS) at Medina Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas. I locked my car, and I wouldn’t unlock it for another six weeks. Our ‘flight’ of 16 officer cadets was called outside, where we ‘learned’ how to march, salute, and stand at attention. I was familiar with it all, as I grew up on Navy bases. I remember the John Phillip Sousa March Music that always played on the walkaways where we marched,”  

Being in the military is no easy field for it requires much dedication and commitment. It is an honor to serve and be part of something important, but some moments can be scary. 

Padgett states, “Being selected for a Direct Commission into the Air Force was like a return to my roots. The Cold War was scary, but we were ready to fight. I still wear my dog tags and combat boots regularly. I maintain my complete collection of uniforms, as well. Always ready to serve.”

I would suggest military service for those young adults who loved the camaraderie of their own sports teams. Of course, the military service are the ‘best teams’ and have the ‘best toys’.

— Dr. Padgett

Padgett served in the Air Force and during his time, he made many friends, some of whom are no longer part of this world today but remain in many hearts, including his.

“The tragedies are regrettable, although usually necessary,” Padgett said. “I regret the loss of my friends who died in service, performing the same duties that I had. Those military friends still live on in my mind and heart today.” 

To this day, the military is something important to Padgett, he’s proud to be part of such a legacy and holds it close to his heart.

Dr. Padgett teaching a new lesson (Camryn Lumada-Williams)

“It was satisfying to be a part of such an excellent military for 20 years. To extend the idea, the United States Armed Forces have defended or liberated over two-thirds of the surface of the Earth, during the last 120 years. That’s quite a legacy to claim,” Padgett stated.

Padgett has been part of the military all of his life through family and then being a part of it, himself. He knows that easy wasn’t the word for his service, for it’s nowhere near it. It wasn’t the most enjoyable thing in the world either, but those moments that connected him to his old friends that he made and the lessons he learned, made it all worthwhile. 

“Military service was a continuation of my military life from birth. It has confirmed the powerful sense of mission and duty. It also means that I don’t panic over petty squabbles and turf wars that might happen in the workplace. It’s easy to be clear about what is important,” Padgett said.