FAFSA Night!

Photo Courtesy of: Rangely Garcia

Sometimes, filling out the FAFSA is confusing to do– but it doesn’t need to be!

Mikayla Maluyo, Co-Editor in Chief

Shadow Ridge will be holding a FAFSA Workshop on Wednesday, January 25th at the SRHS Library from 5-7 p.m.

The workshop will definitely be helpful for anyone who may be struggling to fill out the FAFSA (Photo Courtesy of: Mrs. Guthrie)

FAFSA Workshop Jan 2023

For many, FAFSA may be a new topic. And for others, it may be a word they’re tired of seeing. It stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aide. Seniors should be filling this form out before priority deadlines! The application opened on October 1st, 2022 and every student is welcome to fill in its contents. It is recommended that a parent is with the student while they fill out the form as there are many documents that are needed when applying. It is a tedious process that requires about an hour or two. 

“[The FAFSA] helps students potentially earn Grants, Scholarships, and Work Study opportunities while they are pursuing a higher education degree,” Mrs. Guthrie, Counselor, explains.

She encourages students to get the FAFSA completed as deadlines for certain schools are nearing. Scholarships are also usually due at this time– which makes things a bit overwhelming as well.

“Take a deep breath,” she tells. “Read through everything and make sure to understand everything that is being asked of you, and ask questions!”

The workshop aims to point students in the right direction as they move into higher education (if they desire). The College of Southern Nevada’s Financial Aid Office will be present to help any families that attend the event when completing the form. There are items that students and parents should bring to prepare for the form’s completion. Although there are a lot of documents that are needed, it will make the process a lot easier!

The Corner is open to all students who would like to see any of the colleges that may be visiting. It is recommended that students are to go if they have any questions for those who are visiting and if they want to stay informed about what is going on in a certain field of study or work.

Having a drive accessible when reaching different sites or valuable resources is always convenient when searching for information (Photo Courtesy of: Mrs. Guthrie)

Having so many things to do all at the same time definitely feels like an enormous weight on everyone’s shoulders. It is something that most students are scared of and it is mind-boggling to think that the Class of 2023 is really graduating.

“Enjoy this next stage of your life,” Mrs. Guthrie says. “It is okay to feel all kinds of emotions, from happy to anxious and everything in-between.”

Below are college and scholarship opportunities!

Click Here!