The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

The Thieves Who Stole Music

The+left+side+view+of+the+trailer+in+its+newfound+home.+
Mr. Hartley
The left side view of the trailer in its newfound home.

Not too long ago, the Shadow Ridge band trailer was stolen and later found on Craigslist. The band students and their teacher weren’t happy about it and quite worried about the news. Though it was quite the scare, they didn’t lose hope. They continued to search for the trailer and eventually, it was found and then retrieved. 

Sometime during last year, the trailer magically disappeared. 

“It was stolen over the weekend of last year and people started noticing its missing appearance on that following Monday,” junior Micah Salazar said. 

The Shadow Ridge band trailer returning to its stables. (Mr. Hartley )

Before it disappeared, the band trailer was hidden on the outside Shadow Ridge basketball courts safe and sound, or so they thought.

“Someone snuck into the basketball court and broke all of the locks on the trailer,” Salazar stated. 

When the band students and Mr. Hartley heard the news of their trailer being stolen, nobody was thrilled.

“The band members were  just very disappointed in the news and our band director, Mr. Hartley, was mainly very frustrated because the auxiliary equipment inside of the trailer was worth thousands of dollars, if not more,” senior Kyler Pham stated. “Luckily we hadn’t started the marching season just yet and we didn’t need to find it right away but everyone was still panicking. Personally, I was thinking along the lines of just dealing with it if we didn’t find it and face the consequences.” 

It wasn’t anyone’s first thought to check Craigslist but luckily they ended up thinking of that possibility. 

“Mr. Hartley just so happened to have the random idea to check Craigslist to see if it was listed,” Salazar states.

Mr. Hartley

When the trailer was later found on Craigslist, it was finally taken care of.

“It was listed for about $7,000 on Craigslist and immediately reported to authorities by Mr. Hartley himself since he was doing his own search as well,” Pham said. “The people who stole the trailer ended up being arrested and though Hartley was given the opportunity to see them, he declined the offer.” 

The rear-end of the Shadow Ridge band trailer. (Mr. Hartley )

In order for the trailer to be easy to notice and find if anything were to happen to it again, the trailer was wrapped up in its very own Shadow Ridge gear. 

“I think the new wrapping is nice to look at and embodies the Mustang pride that our band is filled with,” Pham stated. 

While waiting for its time to hit the road once again, the trailer is now happily secure in its new Mustang gear hiding in a brand new spot not too far away from the musical arts hall.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Lariat
$160
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Shadow Ridge High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.