Saying Goodbye to Ms. Robertson

Ms.+Robertson+pictured+for+the+current+school+years+staff+photos.+

Savanna McDow

Ms. Robertson pictured for the current school years staff photos.

Savanna McDow, Journalist

After working various jobs for seventeen years at Shadow, librarian Ms. Robertson will depart to start a new journey at a different school. As she has loads of experience and knowledge, Ms. Robertson will take her passion for education and working in the district to the next level.

For 24 years, Ms. Robertson has worked with education learning how to be the best educator possible, changing lives daily. For 20 years, she has worked within the district and gotten familiar with the rules and regulations that come with being a teacher and an effective leader.

“I love it at Shadow. The students and community are great. I am only leaving because I plan to go into school administration and have a great opportunity waiting for me. I have also worked with some amazing people. I have a great group of friends I hang out with both in and out of school,” explains Robertson. “Mrs. Smith has been my friend for the last 17 years, Ms. McShea, Mrs. McCombs, and I often go on fun trips together, and Ms. Becker is always by my side. There is a strong sense of community among the teachers who have been here for a while.”

In her time at Shadow, Robertson has taught many levels of English, served on multiple committees, is the Senior Class Advisor, been department chair, worked in athletics for several years, and coached a winning chess team in 2012 to a successful state win. Ms. Robertson has undoubtedly left her mark on Shadow Ridge and will continue to influence the teachers and students still attending significantly.

I would like to tell Ms. Robertson to always follow her heart and to remember she looks better in blue.

— Paige Smith

She will be traveling from the Ridge to Southeast Career and Technical Academy (SECTA) to work as a Student Success Instructional Facilitator. Very soon after that shift, Ms. Robertson will become an assistant principal and further advance her skills.

Robertson elaborates, “I have a fantastic opportunity to go into administration there, and I could not pass it up. I will also have a chance to work with two former assistant principals from Shadow Ridge, and I look forward to that. In addition, I’ve never worked for a CTA, so I am excited to learn new things in different areas of education.”

When looking back after climbing to the top, there will always be times when the journey will be reminisced and missed. In Robertson’s case, she plans on taking all that she has learned and what influenced her love for education and helping others and applying it to help other teachers and their students to become the best.

The library at Shadow Ridge, that Ms. Robertson reopened for students and staff. (Savanna McDow)

“I became a teacher because school and my own teachers were very important to me when I was younger. I also absolutely love all things English, including grammar! I left the classroom to reopen the library because I feel passionate that schools need working libraries with licensed librarians. I am going into administration because I feel like teachers need more support in the classroom, and I hope that I will be able to give them the support they need,” explains Robertson.

After reopening the library in 2015 and reconstructing the use and meaning of the workspace, Robertson has created an open space for students and teachers to flock to when in need of tools for all purposes.

Ms. Robertson will be dearly missed as she heads down a new path to success, and nothing, but the best can be wished upon her as she departs from Shadow Ridge. Thank you, Ms. Robertson, for the continued dedication given to Shadow Ridge.