Health Sciences: Shadow’s New CTE Program

Health class teaches students about the human body

Google Images

Violet Flanagan, Editor-In-Chief

Shadow Ridge is offering a new CTE program- Community Health Science. Health Science is the first part of a two year program that provides students with access to knowledge about the human body and useful skills that will assist them in real life situations.

“We study the various opportunities in health care careers including what training is required and what is each career focus,” says Christina Hulsebos, health teacher at Shadow.

“We study the anatomy and function of the human body related to wellness, disorders and treatment, meaning we study each part of the body and what can go wrong there and how it can be treated.  We study how advances in modern medicine have made many illnesses that were previously deadly now treatable and sometimes curable illnesses in modern times.”

I love this class because it helps me prepare for my future and is also very informative.

— Rylee Cainglet

A CTE program like this is a great pathway to many different career paths.

“Examples would be surgeons, nurses, veterinarians, athletic trainers, radiologists, anesthesiologists, medical assistants, and much more!” says Hulsebos.

Community Health Poster (Christina Hulsebos)

“You also learn life saving skills such as CPR, first aid and emergency preparedness.”

“People considering a job in the healthcare field will have a great time in this class period or anyone curious about the body in general,” says one health student, Rylee Cainglet.

CTE programs provide a lot of knowledge that is applicable in the real world and will prepare students for whatever they may want to do in the future. 

Hulsebos enjoys teaching, and is passionate about providing students with the knowledge they need to understand their health. 

Christina Hulsebos teaches Health Science at Shadow, and is passionate about providing students with the knowledge they need to understand their health. 

“I have two favorite things about teaching this class. One is learning about what medical careers the students are interested in and the other is explaining to students how the human body has amazing ways to protect itself against diseases and illnesses.”

Dimensions Of Health (Google Images

Rylee Cainglet, student in Health Sciences, has learned a lot while taking the class.

“In health science, we learn about different parts of the body and different roles in the healthcare field. Right now, we’re learning about blood pressure and problems that can occur in the bloodstream,” she says.

“I love this class because it helps me prepare for my future and is also very informative. We also get break days where we get to relax and make some origami which is always fun.”