Just Serve Three Square

Elaina Smith, Journalist

Once again, justserve.org is offering opportunities for Shadow Ridge students to get much need service hours, along with helping the community and making a positive impact among others. This months feature will focus on Three Square Food Bank and the many different types of ways students can contribute to the organization.

Whether a student is looking to volunteer as an individual or with a group, an application must be filled out and approved by Three Square Food Bank. Students interested in pursuing this avenue of volunteer work can find those applications here.

Students aged 10-15 must have a parent/guardian present and if a student is 16-17 years old, he/she will need a waiver form signed by a parent/guardian. A new waiver will need to be filled out for every season.

Together, we are stronger. Together, we can feed everyone.

— Three Square Food Bank

The first opportunity provided by Three Square is the Kids Cafe Kitchen where Shadow Ridge students can pack meals for local kids. According to Three Square, 1 in 4 kids in Southern Nevada struggles with food insecurity. Volunteers will help assemble boxed meals for these kids to ensure the kids get three meals a day. Volunteers will be standing for this activity and need to wear closed toe shoes. No tank tops will be allowed and shorts will need to be knee length.  More information for this activity can be found here or students can call 702-434-6204.

The next opportunity where students can volunteer through Three Square is the Volunteer Room where students will be asked to pack produce and grocery items for distribution. Three Square has a goal of distributing 45 million lbs. of food this year and they need all the help they can get packaging those items. There are morning and afternoon sessions available Monday – Friday so this might be a perfect fit to fill those long summer days. The dress code is identical to the one described above.

“Volunteers must be able to stand for long periods of time, be comfortable bending and standing on concrete, be at least 10 years or older…” states the JustServe website.

Just Serve logo (Photo Courtesy of: Google Images)

Of course, Three Square can always use help distributing the food to needy families. This will be done in an indoor location and works great for a larger group looking to voluneer, [email protected] is the contact person.

For families and students who may be struggling with food insecurity, Three Square has many drive thru distribution centers and many walk in pantry locations. To access these resources, students are encouraged to go to this website to find the nearest location.

Three Square Food Bank’s website can be found here and Three Square is located at 4220 North Pecos Road Las Vegas, NV 89115.