Football Planning Formidable Run Deep Into Playoffs

Photo Courtesy of: Jacob Stuart

Watch as Stuart gets the crowd ready to win!

Liam Guthrie, Journalist

Shadow Ridge football looks to embark on a magical playoff run this year which is also the first time they have made the playoffs since 2015, where they lost in the first round. They are the number 2 seed with a first round bye in the 4A State Playoff Division Bracket here. The Mustangs look to do some damage during the playoffs after ending the season strong. This year they will need everyone to buy in and do their jobs, which this Mustangs football team has been doing all year.

Head Coach Travis Foster stated, ”We need to continue to preach fundamentals. We have done a decent job of tackling the last few weeks with the exception of a few plays defensively. We need to continue to work on ball security. We have not lost a fumble in a few games and if that continues we should be a tough out in the playoffs.”

We can’t get too carried away in what our opponent is doing but rather maximizing what we do well

— Travis Foster, Head Football Coach

.

Sophomore, Jeremiah Campbell, who is one of the key players on the Shadow Ridge Mustangs defense and possibly one of the best corners in the city stated, ”I’m looking forward to longer film sessions. Also cutting down on mental mistakes, and a long playoff run. Not only that, I’m looking forward to just playing more football.  Lastly I’m looking forward to our first home playoff game, the atmosphere should be great since this is the first playoff game Shadow Ridge Football has been in since 2015.”

Locked in on defense (Photo Courtesy of: Jeremiah Campbell)

Coach Gibbons, who is the Defensive Coordinator of the Shadow Ridge Mustangs and whose defense has shut out their opponents in the last two games, stated, ”We have to keep doing our job and executing, not only that but making sure we are physical and making tackles. We have stopped the pass and the run good lately, but we can’t let up because our opponents are going to be tough every week during the playoffs.”

The Shadow Ridge Mustangs have a first round bye so they will not play this Friday.  Their first game will be Friday, November 5th at 6pm, at Shadow Ridge High School.  The bye allows for added preparation and resting the players after the long season. Fans can catch the Mustangs playing the winner of Durango High School vs Desert Oasis High School, two teams that the Mustangs have already played and beat. They defeated Desert Oasis High School , 70-35 and Durango High School, 17-15.