Mark of a Dreamer

Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor

Sydney Stewart, a senior, is very passionate about arts, movies, and theme parks but she would predominantly consider herself to be an illustrator. Movies are a huge inspiration for her work, and her passions inspired her as well as the other artists who continually influence her art. 

“My fondness for art all started when I was a little kid, I have been drawing since then as most kids do, but when I was in middle school, I started to take illustration seriously,” Stewart reminisced.

She enjoys creating art, watching movies, doing outdoor activities, and baking treats. She sketches a lot in her free time and comes up with surprising ideas. She explores a lot of art, such as traditional art, surrealistic pieces, and more. She believes that the best part about being an artist is that she can express ideas she has and see them as a physical embodiment of something she made. 

As time passed, Stewart expanded her passion by practicing digital art. She even thinks that doing art paperless is a relaxed art. She is also strongly influenced by animation and comic books.

“I would love to illustrate a book, like a storybook for children or a graphic novel of some kind, soon,” she exclaimed.

Art is a hobby with a wide-open window of opportunities, which is why Stewart finds such joy in the process. She finds ways to express and convey emotions and feelings through every piece of art she makes. She is very inspired by artists like Phil Noto, Cory Loftis, Shiyoon Kim, and Terry Dodson and also by directors like Alfred Hitchcock, Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg, and Robert Zemeckis.

“The hardest part is not liking my art or going through slumps. I always strive to improve, but I get so caught up in how my art looks now rather than how it could look in the future. Sometimes I am just uninspired, and I feel like nothing I make turns out very well. When someone gives a harsh or negative critique, I choose to take it as something I can improve upon and focus on not getting bummed out about the things someone has said. I have never seriously given up doing art as a whole, but I have thought about quitting for a week and coming back or giving up in the early stages of a project,” Stewart shares. 

With her high school career coming to an end this year, Stewart knows that she will pursue illustration at BYU Idaho as both a career and a hobby.