Godzilla Wasp Discovered in Japan

Matthew Boughter, Journalist

Scientists in Japan have recently discovered a new type of wasp that hunts its prey underwater  A study was done by researchers Jose Fernandez-Triana, Tetsuyuki Kamino, Kaoru Maeto, Yutaka Yoshiyasu and Norio Hirai.

Microgaster godzilla, female holotype. A. habitus dorsal; B. habitus lateral; C. wings; D. head, frontal; E. details of antenna; F. head and mesosoma, lateral; G. head and mesosoma, dorsal. (Photo Courtesy of Journal of Hymenoptera Research/Jose Fernandez-Triana)

They said they named it after Godzilla because, “The wasp name is intended to respectfully honor one of the most recognizable symbols of Japanese popular culture worldwide, an unusual new species from Japan which dives underwater to parasitize its caterpillar host,” they also said that, “The wasp’s parasitization behavior bears some loose resemblance to the kaiju character, in the sense that the wasp, similar to how Godzilla suddenly emerges from the water in the movies.”

Its scientific name is Microgaster Godzilla and is it the only known wasp that hunts underwater. The researchers actually captured a video of the Godzilla Wasp hunting and laying its eggs inside an unsuspecting moth caterpillar.

“That thing looks terrifying. Also, it’s pretty gross how they lay eggs inside caterpillars,” said Trevor Wiseman, a sophomore at Shadow Ridge.

Forget Murder Hornets, imagine getting attacked by one of these in a swimming pool or a lake. That’s enough to keep someone awake at night.