The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

How Music Can Lead to Inspiration and Success

On a Saturday evening, a crowd of people are enjoying the performance of their favorite artist in an incredible venue. Through the night, song after song played from past albums. With what was supposed to be the end of the performance, a surprise song starts to play. It is a different style. The sound of the saxophone fills the air, and this new piece could inspire anyone in the audience.

Alto Saxophonist, Kylan Carlos is a member of both the Advanced Concert and Jazz Band at Shadow Ridge. While only a freshman in high school, Carlos is a skilled musician and an inspiration for others in the program. In a band, it is important to have members who are both skilled and have a friendly connection with the other members. It creates a healthy dynamic of fun and motivation for others to advance in their musical skills.

Carlos didn’t always put in the time and effort he does today. When it comes to people who try to master an art there is typically a motivation to begin and to continue to improve. His inspiration to further his skills on the saxophone came from other artists and bands, especially from a band named Lucky Chops.

“I started practicing a lot after school, learning the basics of saxophone, and by the end of 7th grade, I was the best player in the school,” mentioned Carlos. “In 8th grade, I started taking it very seriously and competitively. I practiced much harder music, and I learned new techniques.”

Alto Saxophonist, Kylan Carlos (Melissa Minervini)

More knowledge of an instrument also helps people find strengths and weaknesses with musical style. Whether classical or jazz, playing quickly or slowly, everyone develops unique abilities. Carlos discovered an interest in playing jazz music.

Carlos expressed, “I listened to lots of jazz music and constantly practiced the jazz style, and improvisation. During that time, I decided to try out for the district honor band and scored one of the top chairs. The experience motivated me. I had lots of fun playing in a great band. Later in the year, I also tried out for the district honor jazz band, and with jazz being my strong suit, I got the highest spot, being the best player in the district.”

While Carlos’s parents are performing arts teachers, he has put in a lot of hard work and effort to achieve what he has. Achievement and natural talent are great motivators to continue working.

Justin Anacleto freshman and saxophonist, commented, “Kylan was never the best at the beginning but he sure is now. He put in the work since the day I’ve known him. He’s really dedicated to what he wants to do and I really believe in his abilities. In the future he’s definitely going to make it in his music career and he makes everything just so much more fun.”

Friends, classmates, and others have seen how quickly he has advanced.

“To this day, I am still improving and practicing often, and I am hoping to be the first chair in the state by my senior year,” stated Carlos.

In his next three years of high school, he plans to continue to achieve many things and has big goals. While the future is uncertain, his discipline and effort will continue to benefit him, not just musically.