Shadow Ridge Performing Arts

The+Shadow+Ridge+Performing+Arts+Collage+
Camryn Lumada-Williams
The Shadow Ridge Performing Arts Collage

Shadow Ridge has many areas of art to showcase students’ talents including the performing arts. For many years, the theater has put on beautiful shows, the choir has sung its way to many hearts, the orchestra has made classical comebacks, and lastly, the band has marched its way to success. All four of these programs have different things for students to try and can help many people get out of their comfort zone while having fun. For students who are interested in making music, maybe the choir, orchestra, or band would be a good fit. Theatre might also be a good fit for those students interested in putting a show on. Whatever it may be, there is a place for everyone. 

With many other classes, being in any of these can be challenging, but it is worth it. 

“You are kind of pushed out of your comfort zone, but not in a bad way,” junior Lucas Halvorson stated. “You’re doing things that will help you grow, although sometimes it can be a bit awkward to get out of your comfort zone at first.”

Lucas Halvorson portrays a character from Newsies. (Courtesy of Lucas Halvorson)

When Halvorson first started being in music and theater, he was quite young and didn’t think he would be where he is today.

“I didn’t expect to see how much I’ve changed since freshman year,” Halvorson said. “I’ve improved and evolved so much, it’s kind of crazy.”  

The performing arts can be risky and demanding but the way it makes an audience feel is different from anything else. 

“Being an artist means bringing entertainment and emotions to the community. It’s a very big thing for me because without actors, singers, or any other type of art, there wouldn’t be any entertainment,” Halvorson stated. “Life would be boring without it. It’s helped me come out of my shell and connect with different people. But most of all, it’s a fun thing to be part of.” 

Junior, Stephani Sanchez-Gonzalez loves being part of the advanced orchestra ensemble.

Choir gives me the opportunity to sing which is something I love to do.

— Junior, Avery Frick

“Before I began playing my instrument, my sister joined the SRHS orchestra and encouraged me to join too,” Sanchez-Gonzalez said. “It takes a lot of confidence to be in a performing arts class because when you are on the stage, you have to use that stage presence to your advantage.”

Lucas Halvorson as Pugsly in Shadow Ridge’s last musical, The Addams Family. (Courtesy of Lucas Halvorson)

Like Halvorson, Sanchez-Gonzalez never imagined turning this hobby into a career but she wouldn’t have it any other way.

“I didn’t see myself being where I am today when I first learned how to play my instrument. I only started doing it as a hobby but now I can’t see myself without withholding a musical career,” Sanchez-Gonzalez stated. 

Sanchez-Gonzalez loves being part of the performing arts because of the connections she has made that can last a lifetime. 

“To me, being an artist means always trying to get the orchestra more out there or encouraging others to join something I found a lot of joy in,” Sanchez-Gonzalez said. “This has helped me grow because I have made a lot of connections with people who enjoy doing something I like to do as well.” 

Blake Eecklor, is a senior at the Ridge who has been part of the performing arts all her life and to be part of something so amazing is quite an honor to her and she loves every moment of it.

“For the most part, being in a performing arts ensemble means that you’re with people who support you. This is especially the case I’ve found with band in the last couple years because we’ve all gotten close as a group, and can have fun with each other. This makes for a more comfortable and enjoyable environment overall, which is something I love about it,” Eecklor stated. “And to me, being an artist in performing arts means that I can create things that others can enjoy. I love putting my time and creativity into making things like music that someone can listen to and feel something from it. It’s also special when I can feel something from it myself as well.”

Performing arts has helped many people grow as people and as artists including Eecklor.

“It’s helped me grow as a person because I’ve learned to work really well with others, and been able to develop my leadership skills to where they are now, and will continue to improve. Overall, being a part of band, or performing arts in general is a fantastic way to work with other people, and have a group you  get to know to create beautiful things with,” Eecklor said.

There are many stories to be told about the world of performing arts and these are only a few of them. Whether it be the choir, band, theater, orchestra, guitar, or maybe even the visual arts, there is always something for everyone to bring their creativity to the Mustang pride.