The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

A Swim Success

Shadow Ridge swim team in California! (Courtesy of: Lila Brough)

Diving into the upcoming spring sports season, the Shadow Ridge swim team is perfecting their techniques in preparation for tryouts. These Mustangs are hard at work, preparing for their best year yet!

Junior swimmer, Lila Brough explains, “I have been swimming for Shadow Ridge for just a year now, and hopefully this year too. I have loved it so far, and I can’t see myself not doing it!,” Brough adds. “I love the energy of the team, as everyone is always so welcoming and encouraging. I honestly just love swim in general.”

Having such a supportive community in sports is essential in gathering both motivation and cooperation among teammates. This sense of mutual effort goes hand in hand with the team’s overall achievements.

Senior swimmer, Novalee Marlow expresses, “I love getting to see and be part of the overall team spirit that’s shared within the team. I also enjoy getting to witness the commitment to the team that everyone shares.”

Members of the Shadow Ridge swim team each contribute to the strength of the team. In this, the combination of each athlete’s determination all go into play with the potential of each swim meet. With every new season, each swimmer gets the opportunity to grow both mentally and physically in their sport, as they work harder and harder each meet.

“I am looking forward to getting better as the season goes on! It’s always a struggle getting back into a sport after it’s been a few seasons, but I am ready to work as hard as possible to get there,” Brough says.

Both intramurals and every new season contribute to preparing students for what’s to come. As each swimmer prepares for the upcoming season, getting the opportunity to work one-on-one with coaches helps assist student athletes in preparing for seasons to come.

“This year in intramurals, we’re mainly focusing on conditioning. Intramurals really help for the people who are able to go everyday. When I go consistently, I see an immense improvement in my strokes and speed,” stated Brough.

The combination of determination and consistency can really prove to increase athletic ability, especially when it comes to preparation in sports. Both passion and coaching go hand in hand with the potential of athletes, as they make up the ideals of a team.

Marlow conveys, “Intramurals helps me to learn different perspectives of the sport between club swim and the ways that Coach Bedingfield teaches at Shadow Ridge. It’s always great to learn and improve on new techniques before the season starts.”