Softball Starting Up

Shadow+Ridge+softball+players+pumping+each+other+up+
Abby Covington
Shadow Ridge softball players pumping each other up

As winter sports get underway, spring sports are starting to look at beginning their seasons intramurals and gaging interest in who they can expect to fill their rosters for the season. Softball will be holding an informational meeting on December 14th to gage interest and will be releasing a date for intramurals as well. 

“The information meeting on the 14th is really important for anybody that’s interested. Athletes will find out when intramurals start and get to meet the coaching staff. When intramurals start, definitely do not wear shorts due to possible injury. Anything else is fine to wear,” senior Abby Covington says. 

Shadow Ridge softball is a great welcoming place for anyone interested in joining the softball team with a wealth of knowledge to share about what to expect.

“Come ready to play! be sure to have the gear necessary-bat, helmet, glove- and make sure you get the online registration done by tryouts,” says senior Josslin Law. “You can expect to learn the game and the culture of the team.”     

Culture is a major part of the team dynamic for Shadow Ridge softball that they’d like to continue on season after season.     

“Expect one on one instruction and introduction to the culture that we as a team have built for this program. When you join the softball program you don’t only become a better player but a better person,” Covington says. 

As the team continues to grow into this next season, returning players are looking forward to both continuing old habits and creating new ones.

“As a team I am so excited to grow bonds from the previous since we did not

Shadow Ridge softball players taking a picture in the dugout (Josslin Law )

lose any seniors last year. Individually I am looking forward to pulling everyone in and finding the right way to be a leader for the girls,” says Covington. “The goal is always to win. We love to win. The seniors need to find a way to get everyone on the same page and have the mindset of a state championship.” 

The team environment is an overwhelming importance among the Mustangs softball team. 

“I’m looking forward to growing the relationships made from the previous season and seeing what success this season has in store,” Law says. “The goal we have always possessed as a team was to focus on each game individually and work to be as successful as possible. We also focus on having good relationships off the field, so the chemistry is just that much better when we are on the field.”   

The Mustang way has proven successful time and time again as both Covington and Law are committed to play college softball. Law will be continuing her academic and athletic career at Idaho State University as a member of their Division 1 softball team. 

“I plan to continue my softball career and education at Idaho state. Shadow Ridge has not only been educationally prepared, but as far as softball, has taught me how to have good relationships with my peers and work as a team to achieve team and individual goals,” Law says.

For Covington, she will be continuing on playing softball at The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs for their Division 2 program. 

“I am currently committed to play college softball and coach Julia is the best you could find anywhere. She has done more than just prepare me for the game. I would not be the person I am without coach Julia. She has made me the leader and positive force I strive to be everyday,” Covington adds. 

Softball players being good teammates on the field

Players like Covington and Law have a wealth of knowledge to share with new coming softball players.

For Covington, “The advice I would give is to hustle and be respectful to the coaching staff. They are willing to be there and help you, all you have to do is ask questions and try.”

For Law, “Come with a good attitude and an open mind as to what possibilities may lie in store.”

Good luck to Shadow Ridge softball on their upcoming season.