Tule Springs Loop Trail

Lena Harris

The Aliante Loop Trail presented by Tule Springs National Monument

Lena Harris, Journalist

Tule Springs Fossil Beds National Monument features a 3.25 mile trail that is on the way to Shadow Ridge. This trail is named the Aliante Loop Temporary Trail and it is open to all visitors including those who are on bikes or just walking along. Before entering the trial, there is a map, reminders to keep the area clean, and that the use of drones or motorcycles is prohibited, as well as fireworks. This trail is easy in difficulty, but it should be noted there are no shade, facilities, or rest areas along the way.

Sophomore Isabella Zane says, “I see this trail sometimes on the way to school and it honestly looks really interesting. I love hiking and walking so I think that this would be fun and easy to do with friends and family.”

On Saturday April 22nd 9AM- 12PM Tule Springs is hosting a Junior Ranger Day. Children between ages 5-13 can earn an official ranger badge by exploring the trail, but all ages are welcome.  Shadow Ridge students who have younger siblings might find this to be a fun family event. Young children can learn about the environment with their families all while engaging in exercise. To become a member, volunteers can visit the Protectors of Tule Springs Website.

Junior Emma Clement explains, “I park sometimes in this parking lot before school to look at the sunset with friends, but the trail actually looks really nice and it is in a good spot, I might have to check it out sometime.”

The mission statement of Tule Springs is to protect, preserve, support, and promote. National parks and monuments are almost always open to accept extra help. The Protectors of Tule Springs have a calendar and education programs on their website for those who might be interested. As for older kids like teens from Shadow Ridge, there are membership options such as the Student Membership, volunteering, and/or donating, which all contribute to a good cause.

Clement continues, “I think a lot of people pass this trail up because they don’t know about it, I think with some more recognition it could be a big thing.”

The Aliante Loop has been used as a restoration area, planted with native Mojave Desert Flora, which helps to regulate the environment and its’ surrounding wildlife. There is a sign near the trail reminding visitors that “What we do today impacts tomorrow” in hope that those who travel in this area leave the resources where they are to protect the native wildlife of the desert.