How Skin Care and Mental Health Have Changed Since Covid

Chloe Reoyo, Journalist

Since Covid and the lockdown, mental health and self care awareness have become very popular. Health brands encourage teenagers to think about themselves and take some time to relax and do things that they like and make them happy. Social media, and most specifically TikTok, help to promote those topics. Many influencers have contracts with brands to talk about those topics and present their products. They create a safe place with their communities who feel more comfortable to share about their mental health. 

Many brands become viral on social media and turn their products to a teenage public. They become trendy and popular, selling their products like a “steps routine,” encouraging their clients to buy the whole range of products in order to properly function on their skins. 

“Since Covid, I have learned a lot about myself and what my body needs. I have found skincare brands that really work for me and my needs. And I have learned that I need some time during the week to reset, in order to feel clean and fresh for the upcoming week,” explains junior Jazlyn Ramirez. 

COVID-19 has interrupted essential mental health services around the world just when they’re needed most

— Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

Indeed, influencers enjoy filming their Sundays or Mondays, and qualify them as “reset days.” During those days,  they like to clean their houses, complete laundry and sheets, go on a walk, wash their hair, and do some skincare. They also like to “meal-prep” to gain time during the week, and eat healthier. They also promote journaling and reflecting. 

“I used to never take time to write about my feelings, but now it makes me realize how I feel and how I want to feel, what I am grateful for, and how I can become a better version of myself every day,” tells junior Jolyne Kowale. 

Mental health has also become a very important topic since the lockdown. Many students have felt overwhelmed during that period, not having anyone to talk to in real life. Spending every day in their rooms and doing the same thing over and over has developed anxiety for many students, most specifically social anxiety. Influencers like Emma Chamberlain promote spending time by themselves and enjoying being alone. 

“Before Covid, I would always go out and be with my friends. When I was alone, I didn’t know what to do and I was bored. Now I have discovered new passions. I like to read and go on walks by myself listening to music or listening to Emma Chamberlain’s podcast,” comments Kowale.

Brands have made a huge step in getting closer with their clients. Most of them have created TikTok accounts and comment on their customers’ videos with funny comments. The faces of their brands are trendy actors playing in teenagers’ series or influencers. 

“I love when brands comment TikToks, they always try to follow trends and it makes you want to order their products, you feel like they understand you,” says Ramirez.