The Hillary LaVoie Field

The+Hillary+LaVoie+Effort+has+been+active+for+more+than+11+years+now.+

The Hillary LaVoie Effort has been active for more than 11 years now.

Mikayla Maluyo, Co-Editor in Chief

The Shadow Ridge Soccer field is finally receiving its new name and scoreboard. The event will take place on Monday, August 29th at 6 p.m. during the halftime of the varsity boys soccer game. It will be on the SRHS soccer field and will span until 7:45 p.m.

The new name for the Shadow Ridge Soccer field honors Hillary LaVoie. (Photo Courtesy of: Facebook)

We would like to invite everyone to join the Shadow Ridge High School soccer program for a special dedication ceremony to commemorate the naming of the Hillary LaVoie Soccer Field,” tells the hosts of the event. 

Guests are encouraged to wear yellow to this event, as it was Hillary’s favorite color. 

We would like to extend this invitation to the family and friends of Hillary LaVoie, Shadow Ridge alumni, current and former Shadow Ridge staff members, and all community members that would like to share this monumental moment with us,” the hosts add. 

This is a monumental event that many have been waiting for. To be able to witness the event holds utmost honor as it pays tribute to Hillary LaVoie, a Shadow Ridge alumni and the oldest daughter of a Men’s Varsity Soccer Coach, Brian LaVoie, here at the Ridge. 

Hillary LaVoie passed away due to an accident on September 26th, 2010– she was not wearing her seatbelt. Due to this tragedy, Shadow Ridge constantly promotes the importance of safety in teen driving and the significance that one “Click” has in life. The campaign “Click-it 4 Hill” summarizes all of this. 

The campaign pushes all drivers to wear seatbelts and to ensure every passenger does the same, regardless of the distance. (Photo Courtesy of: Facebook)

As such, the SRHS soccer field has been named after her. The scoreboard has her name lettered across as a reminder of her legacy. 

I am proud and honored that your name will now be a part of the place you loved and your message will continue to reach kids there forever.

— Brian LaVoie

Along with the field’s new name, Shadow Ridge High School will also hold its Annual Yellow Out soccer game. This year, it will be held on Thursday, September 15th at 6 p.m. The game will go on until 7:45 p.m. At this game, attendees are encouraged to wear yellow to share their support for the Hillary LaVoie Effort. This campaign relentlessly stresses safe teen driving and putting on a seatbelt at all times when in a vehicle.

“It’s very important to us that no other family has to go through the pain and suffering that my family goes through every single day,” Brian LaVoie, Hillary’s father, says.

Although the story is not for the faint of heart by any means, it has been made into a story of hope, protection, and most importantly, love. The phrase “Click-it 4 Hill” will forever be a part of Shadow Ridge High School and its significance will never change.