Thankful for Teachers!

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Teacher Appreciation Week is from May 2nd – May 6th even as appreciation for teachers should last all year long.

Mikayla Maluyo, Journalist

The school year is long and difficult for both students and teachers alike. From coming up with lesson plans, trying to stay on top of things, and keeping a positive outlook for their classroom, being a teacher is definitely not for the weak. The hours upon hours that teachers give up for the well-being and knowledge of their students are unnoticed for the most part. The sole purpose of this week (May 2nd – May 6th) is to appreciate all educators for their dedication and patience toward the future generation.

Being a teacher is both rewarding and difficult. (Photo Courtesy of: Google Images)

Designated time to appreciate teachers was originally fit into one day. Just that day to appreciate teachers was a long journey in itself. Starting from the 1940s was the debate and discussion over how teachers should be appreciated. In 1953, Eleanor Roosevelt finally convinced Congress to hold a National Teachers’ Day. That day landed on the first Tuesday of March for years to come. Then, in 1985, the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) made the first week of May a celebration for all educators– naming it Teacher Appreciation Week. National Teachers’ Day was not lost in the midst of this, though. The Tuesday of that week is National Teachers’ Day, as decided by the National Education Association Representative Assembly.

Showing one’s appreciation for teachers during the week can be done in many different ways. From telling them how much they are appreciated to even giving them a small gift anytime this week, all gestures are surely valued dearly.

“Appreciating teachers can be as small as just paying attention and being engaged,” Spencer Corbett, sophomore, explains. “Telling them how thankful we are is always the first step.”

Being a teacher and choosing a profession that deals with the future of the world is filled with a lot of pressure. Keeping one’s head up is difficult as is and being in an environment where it is practically required to do so is even more so.

Violet Flanagan, junior, has met many teachers during this school year that have given nothing less than encouragement.

“I think you should express your appreciation to your teachers because they don’t hear it often enough,” she tells.

Still, there are some things that are rewarding as a teacher.

“There are some teachers that I really will remember forever and I think that some teachers don’t know how much of an impact they have on all of us,” Flanagan says.

As students, some things are done behind the scenes that are often never revealed. The hours of planning and the countless errors made behind every assignment can be shocking to look back on. With that in mind, appreciation for teachers should never stop at just a day or week. Instead, it should carry on all year round.