Biden Proposes Plan To Make College Free

President+Joe+Biden+at+one+of+his+rallys.+

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

President Joe Biden at one of his rallys.

Paulina Camacho, Journalist

President Joe Biden proposes the American’s Family Plan that would make two years of community college free for every student in America. This would also include “Dreamers” which are undocumented immigrants who came into the U.S as children. He also plans to invest 80 million to increase the maximum grant to 1,400 for students that depend on these Pell grants. This plan would mean a lot for low-income families that can’t afford higher education. 

We view the American Families Plan as a core element of President Biden’s strategy to build back better and generate a strong and inclusive economy for the future.

— a senior administration official said in a call with reporters.

“We view the American Families Plan as a core element of President Biden’s strategy to build back better and generate a strong and inclusive economy for the future,” a senior administration official said in a call with reporters.

The American Family Plan calls for 1.8 trillion meaning 5 million students would pay no fees. Community college attendees would rise by 15% which is almost 2 million students. This plan also provides universal preschool and the expansion of the federal Child Tax Credit. It would ensure lower class families wouldn’t pay more than 7% of their income on child care that can provide up to 4,000 a month for 12 weeks of personal leave.  The American Family Plan would also subsidize two year tuition to historically black and tribal colleges from families earning less than 125,000. 5 million would go into aiding high-demand field programs in these universities.

“For students who are low income who think college isn’t for me because they’ve been hearing their whole life that it is too expensive, now they’ll hear it’s free. And they’ll ask, ‘Why shouldn’t I go?” Colorado Community College Chancellor Joe Garcia said.

Biden announcing plan with Dr. Jill Biden, former educator. (Photo Courtesy of: Google Images)

This plan would be paid through taxes, specifically from the upper class who make over $400,000 annually by raising the top tax rate to 39.6% and raising taxes on capital gains to 39.6% for households making over a million. Republicans have voiced their opposition to raising taxes. Democrats have also critiqued the plan for not including lowering the cost of prescription drugs or lower the Medicare eligibility age.

“There is broad support from the American people for this approach. There’s broad support from the American people for the investments that these resources will go to,” the administration official said when asked how the White House planned to persuade Republicans to get on board with tax increases. “And what you’ll hear the president explain tomorrow night, if people have other ideas how to finance these critical investments, he’s open to hearing them.”