Hawkins Helps the Community

Photo Courtesy of: Honeye Hawkins

Aiyanna Castro (left) and Bella Hawkins (right) show their shopping cart full of donations.

Mallory Priest, Journalist

Miss Nevada Queen in Action is Shadow Ridge’s very own sophomore Bella Hawkins. Hawkins and her friend, Aiyanna Castro, America’s National Miss Queen in Action, started a bike drive to help kids get in better mental and physical health after the hit of the pandemic.

Hawkins started doing pageants when she was 8 years old, and she has won around six to eight titles. Her most recent title is Miss Nevada Queen in Action. Every queen is required to get community service hours, but all she really wanted was to win a title that mainly revolved around giving back to the community.

“I was excited because of all of the titles I had won before, I had to do community service, but it was never solely that, and when I won I was able to do the bike drive, so I was excited. Also, I hadn’t done pageants in a while before I got that title, so I was excited to get back into it,” exclaims Hawkins.

A&B’s Bike Spring Fling was started to give back to underprivileged and underserved kids. They collected and were gifted around 200 bikes, raised $2100 for bikes and helmets, and 7 full sized trikes for teens with disabilities. Hawkins has always enjoyed doing community service because she has a heart for service and giving back to the community. 

“Bella, along with her friend Aiyanna, felt that the bikes would be a great, healthy, and safe way for kids to de-stress and take some “me-time” during this crazy year they have been living in. Bikes are expensive though and so many families have been impacted by COVID that they simply cannot provide bikes to their kids right now,” states Honeye Hawkins, Bella Hawkin’s mother.

Alongside with the donations, the girls also got recognized by some major Las Vegas News sources such as, 8 News Now, Fox 5 Las Vegas, and The Las Vegas Review Journal. They even got 2 sponsors: StorageOne Self Storage and Van Law Firm. StorageOne donated a storage unit for 2 months free of charge, as Hawkins and Castro collected more bikes. 

“It was really cool because if someone recognizes you for all the hard work that you put in because doing things like community service, it’s a lot of work. For people to recognize you and put you on television for hundreds of thousands of people to see it, that’s what’s really cool. It allows for people to see all your hard work,” said Hawkins.

Overall, Bella Hawkins has not only raised awareness on teen’s mental health during the lockdown, donated bikes, but she has also maintained good grades. Her entire spring break was used to collect and donate bikes, which accounted for 250 service hours. The impact she has made on the community is something that will not be forgotten or go unnoticed.