Because High School is Tough Enough

Photo Courtesy of Google Images

Project 150’s logo indicating that High School is tough enough.

Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor

The school year of 2020-2021 has been a game-changer for the students since they have been distance-learning. This year has also resulted in more crises for students who are less fortunate and have housing instability. It has been reported by the Las Vegas Review Journal that there are more than 20,000 Nevada students experiencing homelessness, living with another family, or staying at motels or shelters. Under these circumstances, the serious concern is on how to provide students with basic needs, a roof over their heads, food, and clothes. The Clark County School District along with countless organizations are working to provide tens of thousands of Nevada students with items needed for their schoolwork and housing to those who are experiencing homelessness.

One of these organizations is called Project 150. This organization is a non-profit organization that helps high school students who need clothing, food, and help with their homework. They want to help disadvantaged students graduate.

According to Mrs. Carroll, a school counselor and Project 150 coordinator, “This organization started in December of 2011 led by Patrick Spargur and Don Purdue with the joint hands of 6 Board Directors and seven employees.”

The leaders of this organization learned that there had been a devastating number of homeless teenagers attending school. They were able to help the 150 homeless students from Rancho High School by providing three truckloads of supplies to the families of the students which helped them celebrate their holiday. Together with the coordination of the Rancho High School Homeless Associate, and a lot of support from others,  it has been an encouraging experience.

“Their goal is to help homeless or low-income students have food at school and on the weekends and to offer support and services to high school students so they could go through graduation and build their future. They also offer school supplies and clothing. They have a clothing store called Betty’s Boutique where students can get 10 items of clothing for free. A student just needs to show his/her school ID,” Mrs. Carroll emphasizes.

They are located at 3600 N. Rancho and are open Monday to Friday from 1:30 to 4:30. They accept donations of food and clothing, and a person can call to volunteer at 702-721-7150.

“Right now they have curbside pick up for food,” Mrs. Carroll added.

Every high school has a Project 150 coordinator, and at Shadow Ridge it’s Mrs. Natascha Carroll, a school counselor. If a student needs help, and all they have to do is ask. She can be reached at [email protected]