Biden’s Policies for Upcoming Presidency

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Joe Biden speaking at a press conference.

Paulina Camacho, Journalist

Democratic president-elect Joe Biden plans to change and repeal many policies that the Trump administration has put into place. A specific policy that has gained controversy between the two parties is the repealment of Trump’s tax plan. This plan would increase taxes on people who make more than 400,000 a year, including raising individual income, capital gains, corporate, and payroll taxes. With this plan it is estimated to create 18.6 million jobs and the GDP to increase by a trillion dollars more than the Trump administration has done. But what will the Biden administration do with tax revenue?

Joe Biden at his rally. (Photo Courtesy of: Google Images)

“You could raise a lot of money to be able to invest in things that are going to make your life easier.  Make you change your standard of living by making sure you have affordable healthcare, by making sure you’re in a situation where you’re able to send your kid to school and if you have student debt you can deal with it,” Biden states.

Biden promises changes in federal funding for education by investing in reopening schools with 90 billion dollars to fund this effort and 200 billion in general to support k-12 schools. He also advocates for free education by planning to make 2 years of community college and 4 years of college/university for people who make under 125,000 free. He has also promised to triple fund title 1 and give educators a raise to make an average $60,000 a year. 

Besides reforming current policies, Biden plans to enact a new policy to combat climate change. The plan will ensure a 100% clean energy and net zero emission by 2050 with a start of investing in green infrastructure. By creating buildings, water, transportation, and energy infrastructures that will prevent, reduce, and withstand the changing climate. Also with the help of other nations to go back to the Paris agreement and fully integrate climate change into the foreign policy and national security strategies, as well as the approach to trade. 

“Global warming is an existential threat to humanity, we have a moral obligation to handle it and we are told by all the leading scientists of the world we don’t have much time. We’re going to pass the point of no return within the next 8 to 10 years,” Biden states. 

The Black Lives Matter movement has gained popularity this year in which Biden has shown support of the movement. Biden promises criminal justice reform by decriminalizing marijuana and poverty, establish an independent task force on prosecutorial discretion, and eliminate the death penalty. Biden also plans to use the power of the U.S. Justice Department to address systemic misconduct in police departments which the Trump administration had put a limitation on.