Runnin’ With Ryen

Ryen Hughes!
Ryen Huges
Ryen Hughes!

Fairly new to the high school sport of track and field as well as cross country, is freshman, Ryen Hughes. Hughes started running a little over a year ago, she is one of few up and coming freshman athletes with a successful future in front of her regarding track. 

Hughes was strongly influenced by her older brothers followed by her parents who strongly encouraged her to start running. 

Hughes states, “My brothers have been running since I was little, so when I got to high school it was kind of a must that I at least try it. That and my parents forced me to.” 

Hughes’ first time running seemed like a huge obstacle in the very beginning of the season, but now that she’s getting the hang of things she enjoys the competition and is eager for more next season. 

Ryen Hughes getting first place.

Hughes states, “It was really stressful because I didn’t know what to do at first, I mean I did what coach told me at practice and took the advice from my teammates but I still didn’t truly know what to expect when I stepped on the track actually about to compete.”

Hughes runs the 800, 1600 and 3200 meter dash, the 1600 is her favorite but the 3200 is her best, ranking her second just behind Leah Okuda for school records, with a time of 11:45.83. 

“I was honestly really surprised with myself after breaking 12 minutes in the 3200. I thought it was impossible,”  Hughes states.

“I for sure to look up to her even though I physically look down to her, I’m really glad I get to practice with her, considering she is one of the best long distance girls on the team, it keeps me competitive even when I’m not at a meet,” Hughes states.    

Hughes has accomplished so much this season pushing her to strive for more now that regionals is right around the corner. Her next goal is to make it to state and hopefully PR in all of her races, especially the 1600 and 3200. She plans to do this by trusting her coach, and her teammates to help her improve and excel to success. 

Coach Frank states, “I definitely thought for a freshman athlete that her ability far exceeded her age and that her personality was one that is going to lend itself to a-lot of future growth.”