Student Athlete By Day, Baker and Business Woman by Night

Andie+Hughes+rocking+her+signature+sunglasses+
Andie Hughes
Andie Hughes rocking her signature sunglasses

Shadow Ridge High School is full of students who are multitalented among athletics, hobbies, and academics. Junior, Andie Hughes, not only maintains straight A’s, but also is a member of the track and field team, and even runs her own cookie business. 

“I’m a thrower for track and field. I throw shot and disc and love it because I get to yell and throw heavy objects and don’t have to run!” Hughes says. 

I have a Google Form where people can order cookies: https://forms.gle/JW4gsztMGDpfQZ747

— Andie Hughes

Not only is track a prideful thing for her, but also her cookie business that stems from baking at a young age. 

“My mom first taught me how to bake when I was in 4th grade and my first official cookie I made was one based on my name, an Andes Mint chocolate cookie,” Hughes says, “In 8th grade, I started writing some of my own cookie recipes and a friend invited me to bake sales. I loved people enjoying the things I baked, so I continued to sell them and start my own side business.” 

Not only do her cookies help her make money, but also help her out on the mental side as well. 

Andie and little sister

“I love the routine of baking, where I know my recipes so well, that putting the ingredients in the bowl is relaxing, a way to relieve stress,” Hughes shares. 

Hughes has a unique ability to balance not only a business but also admirably keeps up on both parts, student, and athlete. 

“One of my favorite moments on track is when I PR’d by 19 feet in disc, my favorite throwing event. I love it when I have my team around me and supporting me and congratulating me. In turn I love to watch everyone else compete, and I love learning and getting to know everyone and what they compete in!” Hughes says. “I have been on the team for 3 years, since my freshman year. My secret to growth is just one every athlete knows, practice, work outside of the sport itself, and then more practice. The girls head coach, Amber Smith, once told me that progress and improvement shouldn’t be focused on what mark or time you want, but by what you can improve in your form and technique. That has stuck with me and has helped me focus on getting better at the little things.” 

Not only do words and inspiration from others keep Hughes going, but also a deep rooted self motivation does the trick for her. 

“For the past 2 years I’ve been really close to going to state for track, but have yet to actually make it. This year, I want to go to state so bad that every practice is one step closer to my dreams and goals for finally going,” shares Hughes. 

Hughes is a long time straight A student who has mastered the tricks to working hard toward maintaining her goal. 

“I am most proud of the straight A’s I’ve had since kindergarten (knock on wood) and I work hard in all of my classes to learn and understand to keep my grades up,” Hughes adds. “To keep up my grades, it means absolute communication with teachers, with talking to them when I’m struggling on a subject, or letting them know when I don’t understand. Taking notes is most helpful and one of the easiest ways for me to learn.” 

Through her trifecta of a balancing act, Hughes has benefited a lot and learned from all the hard work and dedication it takes her to load her plate without it being too much. While challenging, she manages to gracefully balance it with ease. 

“Finding balance is hard. It means sacrifices, lost sleep, lots of stress, and not a lot of time for things outside of my passions. I’m thankful to have family who understands, helps, and makes sure that I find time to accomplish everything,” Hughes says. “The most rewarding part of everything is the success, the happiness that I found something I love at an earlier age. I’ve learned how to fit things into a schedule, learned how to say no (which is hard for me), learned how to stay organized, handle money, work hard for a dream, and it’s taught me that everything comes from hard work; nothing is free.”