College Commits at Shadow Ridge

Senior Josslin Law on the mound Photo Courtesy of: Josslin Law

Many Shadow Ridge athletes work hard in the hopes to continue their athletic pursuits in college. The 2023-2024 school year has given many students this opportunity. They have been able to travel and visit these schools, as well as have the amazing opportunity to commit to playing a sport for the next 4 years. Shadow Ridge is proud to have these students attending their school and playing for Shadow before they graduate.

Committing to a college can be an athlete’s biggest dream because it will allow them to continue their athletics and advance in their chosen sport in so many ways. Athletes who are always working hard in these sports and showing dedication to improvement have led colleges to be interested in them and eventually led to these athletes getting scholarships. Accepting ascholarship and deciding to play can be a very prideful moment for student athletes, their families, and their schools.

Paige Martinez
Courtesy of: Josslin Law

In regards to this process of committing, senior softball player and pitcher, Josslin Law, says, “I sent out a lot of emails then attended  camps put on by the schools. After performing really well they offered me a scholarship. I was able to visit the school and get a feel for it, then I made the decision to commit…It was a lot of work. I’ve been playing this sport since I was 5 and it has required countless hours.”

This opportunity was possible due to countless hours of work and years of experience. With hard work and dedication she was able to visit, explore and commit to play Division 1 softball at Idaho State.

Law also stated, “I’m really excited and can’t wait to experience it…I’m looking forward to the college experience and I’m excited to be able to travel and be so involved with the school”

All the hard work pays off in the end when an athlete is able to commit to play at a college. Afterwards it can bring excitement and so much more for an athlete. All of the hard work and dedication over the years, can pay off in the end.

Senior Abby Covington
Photo Courtesy of: Abby Covington

Senior cheerleader at Shadow Ridge, Paige Martinez stated, “I’m super excited about committing but also pretty nervous…after I applied to the college, the coach reached out and kind of pitched the school and program to me and just laid out everything…then I verbally committed and I’m signing next week.”

Even if athletes have a different experience, they all equally have excitement and some nerves. Though the process was different for this athlete as it is for many, it still required hard work and practice to get to this point and commit.

Lastly, senior third baseman Abby Covington shared, “I am super excited but a little nervous…The recruiting process was very stressful, it took emailing a lot of coaches trying to get them to come see me. My assistant coach helped a lot. He got me out to a camp…everything took off from there.”

After the long process of emailing, inviting, and visiting camps, the process was all worth it for this player. She was able to visit a camp and commit to play at a school in Colorado. This commitment has brought some nerves, but mostly excitement to this high school athlete.