Shadow Ridge Flag Football Team Scores Big

Nike showcase Photo Courtesy of: Aaliyah Jaime

Among the glittering lights and high stakes of Las Vegas, the defending back-to-back 5A StateChampions of Shadow Ridge High School’s Girl’s Flag Football team found themselves in the spotlight this past weekend. They had received an exclusive invitation from the Las Vegas Raiders. The occasion? None other than the breathtaking Super Bowl 58 Nike Showcase Event.

The team has been defending state champions for the past three years in the class 5A division, which is the highest division to be in. They constantly play against the top teams in Las Vegas including teams like Bishop Gorman, Desert Oasis High School, and Liberty High School. This year the team has had an astonishing year filled with excitement. After losing five starting defensive players this past year, it was difficult to determine whether or not this team would have another great season.

Varsity flag football at the Nike story
Photo Courtesy of: Aaliyah Jaime

Despite losing practically their entire defense, the Shadow Ridge Mustangs have overcome this difficulty once again. They currently hold the number one seed for the playoffs with a 10-1 record and made it to the state championship again this year. These incredible achievements made by both the coaches and players of the Shadow Ridge High School Flag Football team is exactly the reason why they were invited to this exclusive Nike Showcase event.

Shadow Ridge High School’s junior defensive linebacker, Mariah Steven’s-Walden, who currently carries the team with 110 flag pulls and 15 sacks states, “Being a part of this event was something quite spectacular. The Nike showcase event gave not just myself but my team and family a night to remember after playing the defending 3A State Champions Virgin Valley HighSchool. The event started Friday night as we played Virgin Valley, the Nike team showed up to our game and gave us some high quality merchandise and showed us some love and recognition before we went to the field to play. We ended up taking the win that night against Virgin Valley with a 7-0 victory, one of our closest games yet.”

Senior Jyniah Sanders participating in the Nike games
Photo Courtesy of: Aaliyah Jaime

Shadow Ridge High School Girls Flag Team enjoyed the glow of success at the Nike showcase event game. Steven’s-Walden, the standout junior defensive linebacker, reflected on the evening’s events, highlighting the remarkable support received from Nike and the unforgettable solidarity shared among teammates and loved ones. As the team celebrates this hard-fought triumph, the team’s journey continues to captivate both fans and observers alike, showcasing grit, perseverance, and the unwavering spirit of champions.

Steven’s-Walden additionally contributes, “After Friday night’s exhilarating game, the next morning our team was transported down to the Nike outlet where we were met with activities ranging from customizing your own hoodie to getting your hair and nails done on the spot. My favorite part personally was being able to hear the stories of Jennifer King and Nausica. King shared her story of what it’s like to be a female coach in the NFL and Nausica shared her story of what it’s like to be an international flag football player in a male dominated sport. Then to conclude our amazing night we were transported back to Bishop Gorman High School where we got passes to attend the Next Ones event with the top 2024 prospect athletes and meet with celebrities including Kai Cenat and Duke Dennis, truly a night I won’t forget spending time with my team who have now become my sisters.”

Flag football girls decorating helmets
Photo Courtesy of: Aaliyah Jaime

This event played a pivotal role in showing the Shadow Ridge Flag Football team appreciation and recognition for all of their hard work and efforts made. The event reminded players that it is important to not take these moments for granted and to enjoy everything from the long practices to the anxiousness before games because it’s all a part of this journey that they get to go through together which is a treasure within itself.

Jaylani Palmer, Shadow Ridge High School sophomore star receiver, states, “Being a part of this event has made me feel appreciated. I feel inspired to keep going and playing the sport I love knowing that there are companies like Nike and people out there who are not only supporting myself but also supporting girls in flag football in general.”

Palmer has helped lead the Mustangs throughout this season including making game winning catches in crucial moments of the games. Being a part of this event has helped these girls see that there are brands and people out there who support them just as much as there are people who envy them for playing the sport they love.

Sophomore starting tight end for the Mustangs, Isabella Turo adds, “Being invited to attend this event was not only extremely important for me and my team, but also for these future generations of athletes to come. It is even more important for these up and coming powerful young ladies who play sports especially flag football. I think a lot of people misinterpret girls in flag football and think that this game is easy, but the truth is this is a rough sport to play and isn’t for the weak. I am confident that participating in this event and ultimately seeing how far we’ve developed and come in women’s sport is truly inspiring not only for me but for these other athletes as well.”

Freshman Chloe Covington and Sophomore Mariah Stevens Walden
Photo Courtesy of: Aaliyah Jaime

The Shadow Ridge High School Girls Flag Football team illuminated the Super Bowl 58 Nike Showcase Event with their resilience, skill, and sisterhood. The team constantly battles against obstacles that get thrown in their way and fight to overcome them, which ultimately earned them the recognition from both the Las Vegas Raiders and Nike. As the team savors the support and recognition they received, they not only celebrated their own achievements but also paved the way for future generations of female athletes, proving that in the world of sports, strength knows no gender. This unforgettable experience serves as a testament to the power of dedication, unity, and the boundless possibilities when passion meets opportunity.