Getting on Track

2023 Boy’s State Champions Photo Courtesy of: Kacey Boyd

Shadow Ridge’s Boy’s State Champions and Girl’s Regional Champions Track and Field teams have one of the best successful records in Clark County School District. With meets around the county, the team has an unbeatable record. Winning both of those titles in 2023, the team hopes to continue this winning streak. With the support of other teammates, parents, and coaches, the program has the most kids on a team at Shadow Ridge High School. With the support and effort of teammates, winning state and regionals are possible again this year.

2023 Girl’s runner ups to State Championship
Photo Courtesy of: Kacey Boyd

Athletes work hard for their success by a whole month of intramurals. Intramurals are full of team workouts, event days, and even ultimate frisbee during the months January and February. Intramurals are there to help you decide what events to try, see where skills are, and get in shape for the actual season.

All are welcome to join the sport! There are never enough athletes and always room for more competition and support.

Photo Courtesy of: Kacey Boyd

“As long as you have the paperwork completed and have ordered your team uniform in time, experience is not required to make the team,” Head Coach Mike Smith said.

Sophomore sprinter Kadyn Boyd reveals, “One thing about the track coaches that I look up to the most is the amount of support they have for all of the athletes on the team. The coaches show endless support no matter the level of skill an athlete shows. They want their athletes to succeed and they will push them to their limits to reach their goals.”

With coaches who’s love and passion grows more during every season, the team is like a family.

Photo Courtesy of: Kasey Boyd

Smith also stated, “I have been a head coach for five years and coaching for a total of eight years.” With coaches like Smith, being in the program for that amount of time shows dedication and passion.

There is no denying that the Shadow Ridge track team is full of support. Many of the members on the team are going out of their comfort zone and trying something new. Learning from those that have experiences is one of the best ways to learn.

Senior Ellie Fisher discloses, “So many teammates have helped me in track! This year I decided to begin track knowing nothing about the sport and going in pretty nervous. However, once I got there, those who were experienced helped me choose an event, told me what kind of track shoes to buy, and encouraged me through tough practices. Without them, I would’ve been lost in the sport.”

Put those running shoes on and let the track season begin!