The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Prioritizing Mental Health: Putting the Student in Student-Athlete

Mrs. Smith
Senior athletes, Aaliyah Jaime and Jyniah Sanders

As the winter sports season winds down and spring sports rise into full gear at Shadow Ridge High School, the mental health strain on student-athletes becomes increasingly apparent. With grueling playoff practices for both flag football and bowling, and demanding intramurals for baseball, softball, and volleyball, athletes are finding themselves drowning in their academics. The pressure to succeed on the field and court is translating to added stress and difficulty in the classroom. This is leaving many students struggling to find a balance between homework, practice, and rest.

Senior basketball and track athlete, Lily-Rene Roopchand (Mrs. Smith)

When athletes find themselves in a rough spot or burnt out due to constant demanding conditions, it is crucial to dig deeper and recognize the reason that they started playing in the first place. Scholarships and achievements can help make the game fun but they aren’t everything.

Senior softball player, Josslin Law, agrees that a break is sometimes all an athlete needs. She stated, “I understand sports are important and can get you to college, but it’s also supposed to be fun. If it’s no longer fun then the original point of playing the sport has diminished. Taking a break can possibly refresh your mindset and allow you to really enjoy the sport again.”

Sometimes, athletes feel pressured by both coaches and themselves to prioritize their athletics over their academics and well-being. The flag football team at Shadow Ridge has been dominant in the last 3 years posting a 43-5 record after their first state championship in 2022.

Aaliyah Jaime, a two sport athlete on the flag and volleyball team at Shadow, feels as if athletics actually helps her get through her rough patches.

Junior athletes, Madi Miller and Elaina Smith (Mrs. Smith)

Jaime states, “Sometimes there are moments where I feel pressured to prioritize my athletics over my mental health, however I think that for the most part my athletics are what helps my mental health and helps me go through my difficult hurdles that life throws my way.”

Shadow Ridge coaches are definitely a bright spot when it comes to student-athletes mental health. They are helping to become and escape for the athletes rather than a burden.

Being in a successful program can often take a toll on the athletes participating. They feel as though they are going to let down and disappoint their school if they do not bring a championship home each year.

Senior tennis and baseball player Brock Morrow said, “After winning state in 2022 I definitely felt the pressure last year, and this year to do it again.” He adds, “Last year, when we lost in the championship, I was scared of what people would say to me when I got back to school. People ended up being kind and congratulating me anyway.”

Mental health in high school is something that absolutely needs to be talked about more. It is a crisis facing all areas of the country and should be addressed.