The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Dual Credit Government

Matthew Nighswonger
Nighswonger’s lovely photos he shares with students

Summer is coming quicker than many think, and ‘with that many students are beginning to choose their course load for the next school year. Specifically, juniors are beginning to set up their senior year. One required class is government and economics, several options are offered like AP, honors, or regular, however many decide to enroll in the dual credit government class. Dual credit has many benefits like not having to take a big test to determine credit.

#GovIsLife

— Matthew Nighswonger

“The college credit is guaranteed,” says teacher Matthew Nighswonger. 

Many students find this class to be fun and rewarding. Senior, Aaliyah Jaime finds this class to be successful for her aspirations. 

“I took dual credit gov because I wanted to challenge myself academically and see a bit of what the work was like before going into college. Overall I am very happy that I took this course because you can see the different levels of study and how it also correlates to life beyond school,” says Jaime. 

Coach Nighswonger’s cat who made its way into the curriculum

While this class does add a challenge into a student’s schedule, many positives can be found within.

Jaime says, “My favorite part of this class is the conversations and discussion that we have. Every class we learn something new and it’s always really interesting. We also have a lot of room to express our opinions and even make some jokes while in class which makes it more fun.” 

While Jaime looks at it from the student side, Nighswonger has some other interesting reasons he likes this class. 

“We learn the basics of gov, we have fun, and we do some cool projects. Not to mention the chance to see my hair every time in class,” Nighswonger says. 

Of course, the main selling point to taking this class is to come out with a college credit. 

“I think the biggest benefit that you get out of taking this class is getting that college credit,” says Jaime.  “While you can take AP for an entire year you won’t get the credit unless you pass the test at the end of the year. For this class, as long as you do the work and try you get the college credit. This helps a lot because the same course you’re taking in high school is 2x more expensive to take in college. So you’re also saving money.” 

Of the options,  students love this option and swear by dual credit. Dual credit is a win-win in gaining credit and experience. 

“I would highly recommend this class to others who are weighing out their options because not only do you get to see a glimpse of what college is like but you also receive a college credit for it.” 

Any student looking into their class schedule for next year should highly consider going the dual credit route.