It’s Your Time to Shine, Singers!

Part+of+last+years+chamber+choir+taking+a+picture.+%28Courtesy+of+Crystle+Burns%29+
Part of last year’s chamber choir taking a picture. (Courtesy of Crystle Burns)

The choir program is one of the five performing arts programs students can participate in at Shadow Ridge High School. Students can showcase their voices in many different ensembles including beginning (mostly targeted towards freshmen and those with little understanding of music), intermediate, and auditioning ensembles: advanced (concert choir) and/or chamber. Students will prepare and learn about music to sing passionately on the stage for their upcoming performances. 

Choir is a program for students to unite in something they love, creating music with a voice. 

“What I love the most about the ensembles we have here at Shadow is the passion and adrenaline we face when the deadline is near,” senior Crystle Burns said. “We enjoy, interpret, and hear our music, but the real fun is when we’re put to the test when showcasing our hard work to friends and family.”

The choir isn’t about just singing and singing notes on a page. It’s a class to challenge  skills while having fun and making music along the way, as a team. 

Burns states, “I want to let others know you have a voice! It’s not your typical ‘do these pre-made assignments.’ We listen to each other. We choose things that we all like and feel challenged enough to learn. We even have some days off in which we can either work with peers or complete other things.” 

When the ensemble is in sync with one another, it shows and the students can feel it. They are excited to be part of something so wonderful when they have that feeling. 

Junior, Jacob Naylor said, “What I love the most about the choir is that mostly everyone works together and can focus/pay attention as well as dedicate their time to practice at home.” 

Choir is also about making life-long memories and connections while improving self-esteem. 

“There’s no need to be scared for choir. We do ice breakers, have mini celebrations, and on a daily, we share things in our lives that make us happy. Everyone is doing the same thing as you and there will be many of them are always going to be willing to help,” Burns stated. “Don’t be afraid of the expectations when many will lift you with them. It’s not ever going to be a free-for-all class.”

Many students including Burns and Naylor have dedicated their life to music and are proud to represent it in the choir ensembles. 

Crystle Burns after a concert posing with the treble clef note. (Courtesy of Crystle Burns)

“I fell in love with music when I was very young and I did everything I could to showcase my talent and passion for singing. As soon as I was old enough to join a choir, I did so. When that opportunity arose, I took it. I knew high school was going to be another level and was truly inspired,” Burns stated. “I would happily be a mentor to anyone interested this year and for years to come, to share the love.” 

“I’ve been very fond of music since middle school. I thought that choir would be the best way way to improve my vocals, musical and vocal techniques, and the fundamentals of music. I also thought it would be able to help with my future music career that I soon want to pursue,” Naylor said.  

With pre-registration coming up, the shadow choir highly encourages students to join. If students are worried about scheduling conflicts with sports or any other events, they are to speak with Halvorson for additional information and ways to work around those schedules. Students who are interested in joining one of the auditioning ensembles must speak with the choir director, Mr. Halvorson in room 404 for more in-depth information and to get all of the materials needed for the process. Some may think choir and singing in front of crowds are scary but it’s really about having fun and just doing your best to be prepared.