Chillin’ with Childers

Abigail Childers in the snow! (Courtesy of: Abigail Childers)

One of Shadow Ridge’s most admirable student teachers, Abigail Childers has now completed her time in this position, as she and both her charisma and support have become such an impeccable part of both journalism and dual credit English classes.

After studying at UNLV, in the hopes of becoming a teacher, Childers hopes to further pursue teaching as an English teacher for CCSD. Childers is a remarkable teacher, especially when it comes to connecting with both students and teachers, and motivating those around her to do their very best.

The teacher that Childers worked with in her time as student teacher, Paige Smith expresses, “Mrs. Childers has a genuine love for her students, and she wants to see them do their best. I enjoyed getting to watch her form meaningful relationships with her students, while also teaching them valuable skills.”

As a teacher, Childers values the importance of building strong connections with students, ensuring that they can always come to her for help.

Sam Robinson, senior, conveys, “Not only is Mrs. Childers a very good teacher to a class full of students, she is very good with students one on one. It’s not intimidating to ask her for help, and she will answer any questions anyone may have. She is also so easy to get along with, which makes her such a good teacher.”

Abigail Childers at an amusement park! (Courtesy of: Abigail Childers)

Childers always knows how to bring up the mood in the class, introducing new stories and topics that are guaranteed to lighten the mood. Not only does Childers work hard to get the information across, but the joy that beams from her always makes for a fun time.

Junior, Karissa Murdoch says, “I love Mrs. Childers, she’s just the best. I enjoy her sense of humor with us, as there’s never a dull moment during our journalism class. Mrs. Childers is awesome and will be missed so much.”

Childers never fails to support both her students and coworkers, as she continues to sustain a joyous atmosphere everyday.

After working by Childers’ side for the past few months, Smith claims, “I’ll mostly miss having another adult in the room who I can joke around with. She understands my sense of humor, and having her in the class was like working with my friend.”

As she works towards her dreams of becoming an English teacher, Childers establishes a joyful environment in the classroom, motivating her students to get work done while still having a good time.

Murdoch explains, “I’m definitely going to miss the fun conversations we got to have, as they were always so enjoyable, and journalism won’t be the same without her.”