The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Behind the Scenes in SRHS Photography

Holly Cheyne
photo taken by photography student

Capturing moments through the lens of creativity, the photography class at Shadow Ridge provides a gateway into the fascinating field of visual storytelling and self-expression for students of all ages and backgrounds. The class has ignited a spark of curiosity and fascination within the minds of students pursuing the art of photography, becoming a source of interest and enthusiasm.

Senior Emily Grimes stated, “My favorite thing about photography is learning new techniques in photoshop because of the fact that there are so many different things that you can do on photoshop that can elevate my pictures.”  

Students have the opportunity to use the tools and filters in photoshop in order to enhance and manipulate the work that they already created. The photography teachers also create fun and interesting assignments that help the students to learn how far their cameras and photoshop skills can really go.

“My favorite assignment so far is the Halloween movie poster. This assignment was fun because it is not something that I would not normally do, and in photography it is good to try new techniques because you can incorporate them into your own style of photography,” Grimes added.

Photo taken by photography student

Another photography student, sophomore Jayslin Hernandez stated, “My favorite assignment has been the ghost photo assignment because we learned we can do more with the cameras than I thought we could.” 

My friends always help me by talking about ideas for my pictures so I can make my best work.

— Emily Grimes

Students are taught how to operate a camera, as well as learn how to do a lot more than just take pictures. The students learn about exposures, focus, zoom, and different camera modes, among other things. Students find it nice to have a class that is sort of their own. They can make recommendations for assignments, and help their friends with assignments, as well as work together on them.

Grimes stated, “My friends always help me by talking about ideas for my pictures so I can make my best work. It’s a fun class and you can make recommendations to learn certain things that interest you.” 

Photo I is the introduction class to the three classes students have the opportunity to take throughout high school. In this class, they get the introduction to operating the cameras and photoshop, later moving into the more advanced assignments.

The students who are in photography have the opportunity to take all their pictures around the campus during their class period. They have lots of assignments that have them looking around to find things and spots that would work for their photos, keeping them busy for most of the period. 

Photo taken by a photography student (Holly Cheyne)