The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

All State, All Region, All American – Jaylani Palmer

Calm+luh+catch+
Calm luh catch

Sophomore, Jaylani Palmer plays as a wide receiver and safety on the Shadow Ridge Flag Football Team. Even though she’s a sophomore in high school, Palmer has been playing flag football since she was eight years old. Palmer has been instrumental in securing the success of the flag football program as a whole.

“My dad signed me up for a flag football team, and I was actually playing with a whole bunch of boys,” stated Palmer. 

Jaylani Palmer

During her freshman year, Palmer crushed the previous school records with 22 interceptions and 36 touchdowns.

Palmer realizes that the way to win games is not only about her but the unity of her team.

Palmer stated, “My teammates inspire me, as well as my coaches, and mom and dad.”

In her element (unknown )Palmer looks up to the older  girls on her team, who also help her become a better player. 

Although she’s an offensive force to be reckoned with, Palmer surprisingly prefers defense. 

She stated, ”I enjoy playing safety because I have more control over myself and what I do in the game, because on offense I’m told what routes I have to run.”  

Not only does Palmer play for Shadow Ridge, she plays for a club team, the Apex Predators. She’s played for this team for 3 years and she plays the same positions, wide receiver and safety.

“I’m most excited to play against Desert Oasis, because I’m going to play against most of my club teammates. They will be very competitive because they won the 4A State Championship last year, and will move up to 5A this year. They will be really good.”

Palmer has high hopes for her future, intending on playing in college. It is rumored that Nevada State University will debut a women’s flag football team within the next 3 years; Palmer wants to be a part of that team. 

If her plans to stay in Nevada fall through, she wouldn’t mind playing in Florida, stating, “It’s really pretty out there and they have crocodiles.” 

Jaylani Palmer doing what she does best (unknown )

As any athlete knows, a pregame routine is crucial to a successful game. 

Palmer stated her pregame ritual consists of, “listening to Rod Wave while I warm up to get focused and prepare mentally.”

Of course the back to back state champion flag football program wouldn’t be as successful without its amazing coaches. 

Matthew Nighswonger has been the head coach for the past 9 years. 

Nighswonger states, ”She’s a very integral part of the Shadow Ridge flag football team success, and you should also see her dance moves.”

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Lariat
$160
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Shadow Ridge High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.