Make-A-Wish Come True

Shadow Ridge’s student council is excited to partner with the Make-A-Wish foundation for Wish Week. Shadow is adopting a young boy named Lorenzo for the week in honor of him and the foundation’s mission. Lorenzo is a 5 year old who has been battling Leukemia since he was two years old. Lorenzo’s wish is to go on a Disney cruise, or as he calls it “a mickey boat in the ocean.” Shadow Ridge is working hard to make his wish come true for the holidays.

Lorenzo’s Story (Courtesy of Rebecca Coyle)

Junior Liliana Arechiga says, “I think this is a great opportunity, what Lorenzo is going through is very sad, and I know that Shadow Ridge can make his dream come true.”

Lorenzo is described as a “party in a box” who loves to sing and dance. He loves everything Disney related. His favorite Disney movies are “Toy Story,” “Coco,” and “Encanto.” Since 2020, he has gone through countless chemotherapy treatments, a port incision, and has had his blood drawn countless times. All of these treatments are tough, but Lorenzo is a fighter. His amazing family has stuck by his side the entire time. Lorenzo’s father, Mr. Mangelson, works at Shadow Ridge as a teacher. This makes the adoption of Lorenzo an extra special opportunity for Shadow Ridge. 

Junior Jazmin Ruiz explains, “I am so glad our Student Council is raising money to help Lorenzo. No child should have to go through all of that pain, I know our school can raise enough money to help him get his wish. I will definitely be participating next week.”

Next week on Tuesday, Dec 5, Shadow Ridge’s Student Council is running a Money in a Minute donation drive during the third period. This drive will serve as a main fundraiser for Lorenzo. To donate, students can bring in cash or checks made out to Shadow Ridge HS. Donations can also be brought to the school bank. Student Council will match the donation of the class that raises the most money. This will help raise as much money as possible for Lorenzo and other kids like him. Lorenzo’s wish to go on a Disney cruise can come true with the help of Shadow Ridge.

Arechiga continues, “This Winter Spirit Week is amazing, I can’t wait to see all of the support from everyone. Lorenzo deserves his wish to be on the Mickey boat in the ocean.”