The Student News Site of Shadow Ridge High School

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Lariat

The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
The Dive In: NBA PLAYOFFS
Anthony Ford, Athletics Editor • May 15, 2021

Anthony and Dorian discussed the NBA's new play in the tournament and give their predictions if the NBA PLAYOFFS is all the way through the championships

Who is that Teachers Pet?
Who is that Teacher's Pet?
Carlee Stuart, Journalist • October 6, 2022

Often, teacher's pets can reveal a lot about a teacher. See if these pets really match the personality of the adults students find in front of...

APP CHAT
APP CHAT
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • October 2, 2020

Ms. Robertson enjoys her time finding the next big literary hit.
Book it to the Library
October 2, 2020

Join the Las Vegas public library in learning about, and celebrating, the depth and diversity of Black history using the Library District's FREE...

Instagrams To Follow
Instagrams To Follow
Claro Bacaltos, Layout Editor • September 19, 2020

Instagram has undoubtedly become one of the most used social media platforms for people of all ages. The Lariat would like to showcase Instagram...

Key Club, One of the Most Prominent Clubs of Shadow Ridge

From the National Honors Society, Speech and Debate, and Game Club, there is one club that stands out from the rest, Key Club. Key Club is an interactive club where students can make new friends and do several activities within the club, and volunteer when the opportunity arrives.

A volunteering event at “Paws in the Park”, where Key Club helps owners and their dogs around booths and an annual “Pawrade” (Courtesy of Jenalyn Ho)

This club is supervised by Ms. B, and Ms. Chambers, both in the science department. There are also several representatives who keep the club organized and controlled. Key Club is the largest student-run club, which includes the officers that are responsible to manage the club. These officers are, the president, Geraldine Sanchez, junior, vice president, Allan Dyson, junior, and the secretary, Jenalyn Ho, junior. 

As much as we will try to volunteer around our campus/school, the club gives members a chance to go around our whole community and places around Las Vegas to help whenever an opportunity is opened for us,” Ho states

As the Vice President of Key Club, my responsibilities mostly come down to being the president’s right hand man, helping all other board members with their roles and providing them proper resources, and looking into different fundraisers, service events, and logistics for things Key Club would like to take part in. I also largely focus on making Key Club feel like a community and getting close to lots of members and helping them out when needed. I wouldn’t say it is easy because it requires committing a lot to this club and constantly trying to build the club outside of meetings,” Dyson states. 

They all have dedication and passion towards the club, making it more enjoyable and active. 

Being in Key Club lately helps with scholarships and resumes as most colleges value being a member greatly but some scholarships are even offered to specifically Key Club members. In addition, it really helps with building life skills, providing a community, and helping members grow as young adults.

— Dyson

In Key Club, there is another program within it called RTC, this program gathers other Key Clubs locally to collaborate in teams to work towards their goals.

“RTC stands for Regional Training Conference where we are able to meet and make connections with all different Key Clubs from different schools in our Nevada region while also having friendly chant competitions. This conference helps our club gain tips through workshops and sociability for our members involved, “ Ho says. 

Key Club has several benefits like ensuring a better school culture; students can engage with each other and use teamwork to get through problems. 

Taking action and doing community service hours could help make a resume look better, or a college application, which is why Key Club has such a good reputation among the other clubs.

Members creating posters to represent to an RTC event (Courtesy of Jenalyn Ho)