SRHS ESPY Awards Preview

SRHS ESPYS presentation from a previous year

Karissa Murdoch, Journalist

On Monday May 15, 2023 Shadow Ridge High School will be hosting the ESPYS for many amazing athletes who represent The Ridge. Organized and run by an amazing Girls PE coach as well as Women’s Soccer coach, Kalah Williams, the ESPY Awards are set to be a night to remember for many athletes. Recognizing many Mustang sports stars for their hard work and dedication to their sports is on the agenda. Voting was done by anyone with an email address and was used to choose the winners for their prospective awards which are to be announced on Monday. 

Coach Wlliams said, “They can expect a fun night celebrating all things Shadow Ridge athletics. It is a great conclusion to the school year.” 

While much of the night remains to be a surprise to the athletes, the ESPY Awards should be a night packed full of fun. 

“All I can say is that there will be some really special moments brought to us by some very special people that will be a pleasant surprise,” stated Williams.

While the ESPYS took a slight hiatus due to Covid, Coach Williams decided last year to bring back the fun filled night. This night was started by Coach Williams for the athletes and has been around ever since. 

“The idea for this event originated from when I was a college athlete at Eastern Oregon University. They put on a similar event. Then about 5 years ago I brought the idea to Mr. Olson and the coaches association, which was when I was given the green light to run with the idea,” says Williams. 

While it may have taken many hours of hard work and dedication, this event is being put on with the help of many people who made it all possible for Shadow Ridge athletes. 

“A lot of networking with community partners and Shadow Ridge staff. There are a lot of moving parts to put together an award show so it helps tremendously when I can get assistance from others,” says Coach Williams. 

Congratulations to all athletes and teams that were nominated for awards. This night is an amazing opportunity to showcase so many amazing athletes’ hard work and dedication throughout the year to help their sport be what it is. Big thanks to Coach Williams for putting all this together as well as the many other people who had a part in making this possible to recognize these athletes accomplishments.