Practicing Self Care During COVID

Tiana Cofer, Journalist

COVID-19 has kept most people indoors this past year, and rules and restrictions have been put into place for when people need to go outdoors. But since everyone has been spending most of their time indoors, it’s important for everyone to remember to take care of themselves and others during this difficult and stressful time. That’s why self care is important and is crucial for everyone to keep their sanity and health in check. Even though being healthy and mindful is essential, self care can come in many forms for different people. 

When I hear the phrase self-care it makes me think about taking care of your mental and physical health,” says Aryssa Gallardo, sophomore.

Health and self-care look different to many people, and mental and physical health is a common outlook when thinking about the words ‘ self-care.’ But even though one person’s view may be different from another, it can also mean different things to different people. 

“What it means to me is just taking time for yourself, especially when we stress so much, we

Positive post-its (Photo Courtesy of Google Images)

tend to neglect ourselves. That’s why I feel it is especially important during the pandemic because it is something that we all weren’t able to control, so doing something for yourself can be a good form of comfort,” says Paulina Camacho, sophomore.

Finding comfort and safety during this time is important, as it can help others make dealing with this tough time bearable and easier. 

“I think that it’s important to take care of yourself ESPECIALLY during COVID because nobody wants to get sick and everyone gets stressed because of how things are going right now, so it’s good to take care of yourself,” states Gallardo. 

Even though it’s important to be healthy both mentally and physically, how effective it is and what works best for an individual depends on the person. 

Work Out Activities (Photo Courtesy of Google Images)

“Some ways that everyone can practice self-care is by making sure they eat well every day, making sure to wash their hands and face, wearing a mask to help others, and if you’re feeling stressed about something, just remember to take deep breaths and just take your time with whatever you are doing,” says Gallardo.

These and other methods are great ways to find what works best for an individual. Even with COVID still affecting everyone’s daily lives, it’s still important to keep health at the forefront.

“Even just taking a small break is a good small step for self-care. Taking naps, eating, taking a shower/bath or any way where you recharge yourself is a way to practice self-care. It all depends on you and what works best for you,” states Camacho.