Selena’s Version

Avrie Vohs, Journalist

Social media has been through its trials and tribulations. The very first social media platform, Six Degrees, was made in 1997. Ever since then, social media has exploded with thousands of different platforms, including MySpace (which shut down in 2008), Facebook, and Instagram.

Almost every person who has a phone has social media. With so many people being on it, there’s always going to be some sort of dispute, ranging from arguing over the colors of something, to what something sounds like, and even celebrity disputes.

Sophomore Harry Evenson says “Literally everyone has some sort of social media. It’s a part of everyday life. There is always a problem with celebrities though, it’s like nobody can mind their own business!”

One of the most recent arguments online is between Hailey Baldwin and Selena Gomez. Fans have taken a deep look into the two and realized some similarities. Selena’s ex boyfriend, Justin Bieber, is now married to her old friend, Hailey Baldwin. Selena and Justin confirmed their relationship in 2011, but broke up later in 2012. They reconnected later in 2013, but were on and off until their final break-up in 2018. Both Selena and Hailey were friends in 2009 and were later introduced to Justin. Hailey and Justin got married an alleged 2 months after Selena and Justin broke up.

In any good argument, both sides of the discussion must be explained and broken down, explaining why this will be one part of the debate, explaining Selena’s side of the story, and whether she deserves the backlash she is receiving. The other part of the story will be told from Hailey’s side of the story, written by Savanna McDow.

Originally, Hailey was a huge fan of the couple, and even tweeted about how they were “couple goals,” and how they were a “teenage dream.” She goes on to say that she is “100% team #Jelena,” which is the ship name that fans made for Selena and Justin.

“I don’t know why she switched up, if you were really a friend you wouldn’t have married her ex boyfriend 2 months after they broke up,” Evenson says. “They didn’t even wait!”

Recently Hailey posted a TikTok that was supposedly body shaming Selena. Fans didn’t take this very well and started bashing Hailey. Since then Hailey has deleted the TikTok, but it didn’t end there. Hailey has supposedly “copied” Selena with other things, ranging from sayings to even tattoos.

Since then there has been a constant back and forth between the two.

Selena recently said on her Instagram story that “Hailey Bieber reached out to me and let me know that she has been receiving death threats and such hateful negativity,” she then says that “this isn’t what I stand for. No one should have to experience hate or bullying.”

Sophomore, Lucas Halvorson, says “I’m happy that Selena spoke about it. She has always been such a positive person and this really just shows how much respect she really deserves. I think that Hailey’s fame got to her head and she just wanted to replicate what Selena and Justin had, but you just can’t.”

Even though there are a lot of people who are very interested in this feud, there are few who don’t care as much. Junior Kenny Kendrick feels indifferent about the situation, and hasn’t really caught up with it.

“I could honestly care less,” Kendrick says. “Celebrity drama has never really been my forte. I have a lot of my own things that are much more important. I don’t even know these people!”

The question now is, who’s side is right and who’s side is wrong?