No Parking Zone

Courtesy of: Soriya Ritchie

Soriya Ritchie took her inspiration from the beach.

Lila Brough, Journalist

When a senior buys a parking spot and customizes it, they usually plan on using it year round, unless someone takes it. Shadow Ridge High School seniors pay $30 for a parking spot. Seniors can customize their parking spots however they want, with restrictions. 

Senior Sydney Whitney fell in love with Elvis Presley in 3rd grade and has loved his music ever since, so she painted Elvis on her parking spot. Although she did buy the spot and paint it, she still gets people parking in it. 

“One time some dude parked right on the line and blocked both me and my next door parking spot person,” Whitney explains. “The guy who parked next to me wrote a really mean note and he was gone before the senior half day of school was out.”

Izzy Nebeker, a senior at Shadow, uses her parking spot every single day unless someone else is in it.

Ava Garcia’s amazing parking spot (Courtesy of: Ava Garcia)

She’s had one instance where she could not use her parking spot for a long period of time because someone was in it. Nebeker explains that because her parking spot is in the first row a lot of parents pull into it to drop off their kids. 

“It makes me frustrated, because parents can take a long time to drop their kids off and sometimes they will just sit there for a couple minutes. Most of the time I just go and park in the back when that happens,” Nebeker states.  “I don’t have time to sit there and block traffic, we all have classes to get to. Sometimes it can be hard to find parking spots though, especially in the morning when the traffic is really bad.”

Senior Elizabeth Gubler also tries to use her parking spot every day.

She does not usually have a problem with people taking her parking spot. Gubler explains that if there is someone in her parking spot it is most likely Junior Kayden Bailey. She will then just park in her friend Megan’s parking spot.

Soriya Ritchie, a senior at Shadow Ridge, uses her spot every day.

Ritchie explains that it can be hard to find parking sometimes if there is someone in her parking spot but for the most part it is pretty easy. 

“Sometimes after school it would kind of make me mad, but it did not really matter because there were plenty of open spots,” Ritchie stated.