Refuges and Recreations

Lena Harris

All about Birds at the Wetlands!

Lena Harris, Journalist

In the new year, getting some vitamin C and spending time with family is easy to do at one of Las Vegas’s wildlife refuges or county parks. The Desert National Wildlife Refuge, Clark County Wetlands Park, and the Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary are some great examples of nature filled parks that are suitable for any age.

At the Desert National Wildlife Refuge, there are many trails and named spots for people to explore. These include the Corn Creek, Alamo Road, Hidden Forest, and much more. Each trail varies in size but they all connect back to each other. The visitors center can provide further information and give visitors a handheld map to use for guidance as they venture through the park.

Sophomore Alexis Gonzalez says, “I haven’t been to any of these parks but I love to get outside with my friends and family. I like running occasionally as well so I think anything with a trail would be perfect for me.”

Clark County Wetlands park is another fun place to visit. There are a series of trails in the park that fall over ponds and other streams of water where people can see the wildlife and natural scenery. The wetlands is also a huge water reserve where ducks and other aquatic animals live. A lot of trash gets washed in and can be found at the bottom of the reserve. By picking up any trash that is found throughout the park and holding personal trash until it can be disposed of, visitors can help the park keep its natural beauty. Visitors are able to walk or ride their bike around the park. If they are willing to expand their journey, they can take a path that leads all the way to Lake Mead. 

Sophomore Noel Caldera explains, “I haven’t been to either of these parks, but I have been to Lake Mead. I think it is interesting how the wetlands lead all the way there. I would definitely be interested in going to both places in one day.”

Gilcrease Nature Sanctuary is a home for exotic birds , pigs , goats , and other animals whose owners can no longer take care of them. They teach people about responsible pet ownership and the importance of commitment before owning a pet. There are options to volunteer on their website and an about us section to learn more about their sanctuary’s purpose.

There are many other interesting places like these that are open to visitors in Las Vegas. Most county parks accept donations, volunteers, and even job opportunities.