Christmas Carol Conflict

Lila Brough, Journalist

Now that it is November and the Christmas season is approaching, stores are stacking their shelves with decorations and families are listening to Christmas carols over the radio. Although the Christmas cheer is definitely in the air, there is some debate over when it is the right time to listen to Christmas music. Opinions range from in the summer to right after, and only after, Thanksgiving. The students of Shadow Ridge High School have their own take on it.

Sophomores Jolie Robison and Ella Barney both agree that one should start listening to Christmas music very close to December, and so do their families. Robison, and her family both usually start listening to Christmas music at the beginning of December.

“I think it’s the right time because December is when it really starts to feel like Christmas,” Robison states.

Barney believes somewhat the same thing, except that individuals should start listening to carols right after Thanksgiving. She explains that she feels bad if she listens to them before Thanksgiving.

Barney explains, “I feel bad skipping over Thanksgiving, I actually really like it.”

While most may agree, Kaprice Bott, a sophomore at Shadow Ridge, does not. She believes that Christmas carols are happy songs and people should listen to them year round. If a friend or family member wants to listen, why shouldn’t they? Especially if it makes them happy. But while Bott listens to Christmas songs year round, her family waits until after Thanksgiving.

“Christmas songs are just happy music, if I want to listen to them I do,” Bott says.

Robison, Barney, and Bott all have songs they love and hate. Robison loves listening to the infamous “Jingle Bell Rock” and anything from Justin Bieber’s holiday album. Bott also listens to Justin Bieber’s album, but she also listens to Mariah Carey, Michael Buble, and Ariana Grande. Although Bott and Robison have favorites, Barney does not. She does always have Silver Bells stuck in her head though.

Although these sophomores can agree that they really enjoy the Christmas season, there are just some songs these students will avoid year long. Songs like “Jingle Bells,” “Feliz Navidad,” and “Frosty the Snowman” are definitely not on Robison’s Christmas playlist. Bott loves Christmas music, but has always found the song “Baby It’s Cold Outside” a bit creepy mainly because of what it implies. Barney likes most Christmas carols but states that if it is country music she doesn’t like it.

“I like Christmas songs,” sophomore Karissa Murdoch states.

Countdown until Christmas
We hope you had a great Christmas.