Bonfires or Butterfingers?

Photo Courtesy of: Julia Willhite

Jonah Whillhite’s amazing pumpkins!

Lila Brough, Journalist

Halloween originated from an ancient Celtic festival of Samhain. The community would come together to light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off ghosts. While people here in Las Vegas aren’t normally lighting bonfires on their front porches, they still wear costumes to celebrate the spooky season. The question is though, what do high schoolers have planned on Halloween? 

The stereotype most people know or have heard is that high school students’ first thought when Halloween comes around is, “How much trouble can I create?” Sophomore Alynna Mckendall thinks that it truly depends on the individual, and whether they go out with the right mindset. Many other students like Bailey Ririe, a sophomore, agree that everyone is different but students should still be able to go out and have fun without any judgment.

“Even though I don’t think the stereotype is valid, there are definitely people who go out of their way to cause harm to others and their property,” Olivia Burdette, a sophomore at Shadow Ridge, stated. “However, in my personal experience, most are just trying to have a fun and safe night.”

Teenagers also face the constant confusion over what age they should refrain from going out and trick or treating. While some people believe that if someone is in high school they should not go out and trick or treat. Others think that it’s okay until they are out of high school. Sophomore, Kendra Chapman believes that Halloween should be for everyone, and if they choose to go trick or treating that’s alright.

“…I think that it’s somewhat reasonable…there will always be crappy people during trick or treating, but not everyone is bad,” Chapman explains.

While certain individuals might go out on Halloween just to toilet paper the houses that hand out pencils and tooth brushes, most families are going out and spending quality time together before and on Halloween day. Sophomore Bailey Ririe and her family receive a “boo” or treat on their doorstep from another family in their neighborhood, and then pass on that treat to a different family. Some families like Jolie Robison, a sophomore, like to travel to places like Stayle’s Farm in Utah and hang out with their cousins. 

“Every year my family and I watch the Halloween episodes of ‘The Office’ and make pumpkin cookies,” Burdette states. “I’m really looking forward to watching it  this year because it’s a show my family and I share a love for.”