Checkmate: Shadow Ridge’s Chess Club

Chess Club in action, Photo Courtesy of: Diego Serna

Sam Robinson, Entertainment Editor

It’s Chess Club Season! Social Studies teacher, Mr. Bennett’s Chess Club is now in full effect. With the popularity of Netflix’s The Queens Gambit, chess is becoming more popular than ever and Chess Club has definitely reaped the benefits. For students who want live more strategic lives, Chess Club is the answer. Not only is it a fun friendly community but the club has opportunities to compete with other schools in the valley.

Senior Paulane Tulop is a member of the club and she was excited to extend her knowledge from her middle school chess club to high school.

From left to right, seniors Diego Serna, Paulene Tulop, Sean Red-Sandoval, JD Coching, and Giuliano Kuo, Photo Courtesy of: Diego Serna

“I joined mainly because my friends did. We all already knew how to play chess and are fairly competitive with one another. Overall, we just thought it would be a really fun thing to do!”

Shadow Ridge has had a Chess Club since its opening in 2003, but it was 4 years ago when Bennett decided to become the advisor because of his strong love of the game. Bennett’s goal for the Chess Club is to have a really good team and make it to the playoffs, although his main priority for everyone is to learn and have fun.

Freshman Alex Wilson is also a member. He joined because he loves chess and finds it challenging. Wilson’s older brother was also a member of the Chess Club years ago, which inspired him as well.

To anyone interested in joining Chess Club, Tulop says, “You should just do it! We welcome all different levels of chess, so you don’t have to be afraid of not being good at the game. You’re bound to improve as time goes on as long as you put in the time and effort.”

The club meets on Tuesdays after school from 1:30 to 2:30 in room 814 and the official season starts September 20th, with a tournament against Arbor View. The first home match is October 4th against Centennial. All students interested in Chess Club are encouraged to join!

“This year I hope that Chess Club will expand and have more people find out how fun the Chess Club is. And of course I hope we win the state title,” freshman Alex Wilson stated.