National Hispanic Heritage Month: ¡Celebre el Mes de la Herencia Hispana!

Virginia Cardinali Pietracci, Journalist

Every year, between September 15 and October 15, Americans celebrate the National Hispanic Heritage Month (HHM). It was enacted in 1998, by Ronald Reagan, to honor the histories, cultures and contributions of American citizens whose ancestors came from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Central and South America. September 15th is an important day for many Latin American countries because it’s the day they won their independence from Spain. 

People can do all kinds of things to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month: post every day on social media commemorating famous Hispanics and their impact, create art and enter it into contests, create weekly events in the quad to commemorate people in the community… the ways to participate are endless.

Hispanic American Heritage Month Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Shaun Mangelson is a Spanish II, III, and AP teacher at Shadow Ridge High School. He had an opportunity to visit Uruguay and met amazing people. That’s how his Spanish learning journey began. 

“I really loved being in Uruguay because of how amazing the people are and their traditions…” he said. “I feel like the most amazing thing about Hispanic culture is how warm and affectionate people are.  As Americans we can be stand offish and keep our distance, but I really like how people in Uruguay give hugs and greet people with besos or kisses.” 

He celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by teaching about Hispanic stories and famous individuals.  He has a weekly spotlight discussing art, social movements, and various Hispanic people.  With that comes discussions, and his students get to hear the voices and experiences of their fellow classmates.

“Celebrating goes hand in hand with inspiring my students, ” Mr. Mangelson said. “I like to hear what students are experiencing and give them a voice in class.  A lot of students get information and stories from one perspective, and I enjoy sharing Hispanic stories, their struggles and how they overcome adversities.  I hope that students become inspired, feel like their voice matters, and that they are important.”

Pamela Llamas is a junior at Shadow Ridge High School. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, but she speaks Spanish because her mom is from El Districto Federal (AKA Mexico City), Mexico. During the HHM,  Llamas and her family just like to continue to carry on life as normal, because they always do what people do to celebrate this month, regardless of the time of year. They throw parties, make authentic traditional Hispanic food, dance, have bandas come play…

My favorite thing about this month is, of course, the food people make, and the parties everyone throws in honor of it… I wish I could go to Mexico, because everyone seems to be very humble and nice, which is how a lot of Mexicans are here in the states as well.

— Pamela Llamas

“My favorite thing about this month is, of course, the food people make, and the parties everyone throws in honor of it,’’ Llamas said, ‘’I’m not from Mexico, but from the stories my mom and grandparents tell me, I wish I could go to Mexico, because everyone seems to be very humble and nice, which is how a lot of Mexicans are here in the states as well.” 

She is sure about the significance of honoring the Hispanic Heritage Month. 

‘’I think it’s important to celebrate this commemoration because it reminds people of the things Hispanics and Latinos did to help this country come about,’’ she shared. “Or to just learn to love and appreciate the culture and the people itself.’’

Hispanic Heritage Month recognizes the fact that the U.S. could not have been the country which is today if wasn’t for the contributions of Hispanic people in so many aspects of past and modern history. It displays how many cultural differences help make a country unique and special.

Hispanic Heritage Month only lasts from September 15 to October 15, but appreciation for Hispanic culture, and all the others, lasts all year long.