AP Human Geography

AP Human Geography class

Shadow Ridge offers a variety of Advanced Placement (AP) classes in history, English, sciences, languages, and math. AP Human Geography is just one of the amazing college level history courses that Shadow Ridge offers. The classes are made up of mostly freshmen. Incoming freshmen have the option to take AP Human Geography or AP Computer Science to encourage them to take AP classes throughout high school so that they can stay motivated to challenge themselves. 

Ms. Nichols, one of the AP Human Geography teachers at Shadow Ridge, stated, “I enjoy teaching AP Human Geography because it covers diverse and interesting topics related to human societies, cultures, and geography. Exploring global patterns and interactions. It is real life modern day topics we see in our life and world affairs everyday. I like that my students can hold an intelligent conversation about our world.” 

Students are engaged in the classes and enjoy learning about things like patterns and human interactions, cultures and traditions, and see the world from different perspectives.  

Sophomore, Jayslin Hernandez stated, “It was a good class, at some points it got tough but Ms. Nichols helped us with whatever we needed when it did. But overall it was a fun class with lots of interaction and activities for learning.”

Students who have taken AP Human Geography have enjoyed the class, enjoyed working on projects, and participating in activities with other students in class. Nichols makes sure the class is fun and interactive. The fun assignments and activities keep students interested and engaged in the material and help them to succeed in the course.

Nichols continues, “The workload for AP courses can vary, but generally, students can expect a challenging and fast pace curriculum. It involves reading assignments and research. Time management is crucial to succeed in AP Human Geography, but the skills developed can be valuable for future academic pursuits. We do a lot of partner work. Students will also be creating a project called Trip of a Lifetime where they get to use the skills they have learned and incorporate them into a real life trip. They also get to design a city. Last year when the population hit 8 billion we had a baby shower in class with food and games.”

The class involves a lot of quickly paced work, and the class can definitely help some students with their time management skills for classes or jobs in the future. The fun projects and assignments all help students to succeed.

AP Human Geography class